26

"Thanks for the night out Aymee!" Aelin shouted a little too loudly in the streets of Velaris at 12am on a Tuesday.

"Lets do it again sometime!" Aymee shouted back as she struggled to jam her house key into the keyhole.

Azriel shook his head hopelessly, unable to do anything but watch as his mother missed the lock entirely and dropped her key. The whole way here she'd rambled on about Azriel's constant overbearing and fussiness. She'd gone so far as to claim that she couldn't take a shit without Azriel asking if she wanted him to wipe her ass.

Aelin, the ever supportive drunk friend, nodded along to her complaints and offered sincere looks of sympathy with a few tsks in Azriel's direction.

She was still shouting about how she's an independent woman that doesn't need a man when she finally managed to open the door. Azriel waited until she stumbled through and closed the front door before he took to the skies with Aelin in his arms.

She nuzzled into his arms, readying herself for a nap. "Aymee's hot, I should've known she was your mother", Aelin mumbled with her face tucked into the crook of his arms.

Azriel rolled his eyes, ignoring her in the hopes that she'd eventually tire herself out and he would not need to suffer the stench of alcohol on her breath any longer. But alas the Mother never cared for his prayers.

"I like your mum's singing. Can you sing for me?" she turned her head slightly and pouted.

"No, I'm not-", he was cut off with a loud childish groan before he could continue.

"Stupid shadowsinger, I'm gonna call you shadownon-singer", she huffed before nuzzling back into his arms.

He rolled his eyes before exhaling a deep breath, "What would you like me to sin-"

Aelin's head jolted in excitement and with unnatural speed, even for fae, she maneuvered her body until her her arms wrapped around her legs around his waist. He almost snorted at the look of pure excitement that overtook her face.

In answer she began to sing the lyrics she managed to remember from his mother.

"This life, well hang on

Cause everybody hurt,"

He followed her lead, no more reluctance was evident as he smiled in recognition. A flicker of pride ran through him as he realised his mother's singing had healed Aelin, like it had always done for him. He recalled the words that always managed to pull him away from the demons.

"Take comfort in your friends

Everybody hurts

Don't throw your hand, oh no

If you feel like you're alone

No, no, no, you are not alone"

Azriel continued singing as he flew across Velaris to the house of wind, even after she had fallen asleep. He took the long way home, lulling her into the deep slumber she was currently in.

He landed softly on the terrace spotting Rowan hawk like fae eyes trail his every step. The male rushed to the balcony doors and opened them wide for him. Azriel tensed when he saw the male, seemingly forgetting about her mate and how he might react to him cradling her. But the male smiled sadly before gently and lovingly caressing the back of her head. Azriel knew he out of everyone could somehow see the demons that had terrorised her and was just glad to see her safe.

"Let me put her down", Azriel whispered. Rowan nodded before Azriel made his way to the couple's room and gently put her down before placing a blanket over her lying figure.