17

Rhys and Feyre woke up to the sound of someone roaring in pain. They had jolted in their sleep despite the extensive distance between them and the noise. The two shared a worried look but didn't say a word, only sending messages down the bond. They rushed out of their room, tying their robes on their way out, not bothering with weapons but solely reliant on their powers.

They followed the sound through the hallways until they saw the other high lords gathered in front of one of the rooms. Feyre jumped when Azriel suddenly appeared next to her. He dipped his head in apology, unaware of her tenseness.

"Some idiot sent out a hit on the Queen's head", Azriel offered in explanation. He'd simplified the gruesome image his shadows had gathered before he continued, "it isn't pretty".

A horrified look was Feyre's only response and was mirrored amongst the High Lords , indicating their eavesdropping. Rhys' bored emotionless look was undisturbed when Thesan began banging on the door.

"Please open the door, your majesty, I will deal with this accordi-", Thesan was cut off as the door opened and the stench of booze-filled the hallway.

"Thesan! What are you doing here?", Aelin's red face appeared as she unstably leaned against the doorframe.

"W-We heard a male screaming and were told by Rhysand's spy that someone attacked you", Thesan stuttered as he took in the unbothered drunk female.

She waved him off as she giggled, "attacked? Fenrys ripped his leg off before he stepped through the window."

She turned around and waltzed back into her room, the others followed in suit to find a limbless man sprawled on a seat, Fenrys' jaw locked on his neck waiting for the order to rip his throat out. A pale Lucien was seated on the edge of the sofa rubbing his temples wide-eyed. The others tensed when she suddenly whipped her head around and whispered, "someone else is in here".

She stepped closer to Thesan and lowered her voice further. She looked from left to right as her body shook. The sudden change in behaviour had Rhys suffering whiplash, she now resembled a frightened little girl.

"There's a monster in that closet behind me", she continued.

Thesan, the ever-gracious host, clasped her shoulder before assuring her that he will deal with the problem himself. He stepped forward, unsheathing his sword before pushing Aelin behind him. He soundlessly stepped towards the door and gave a pointed look to Kallias who stood by his side and turned the knob for him.

Thesan waited in a defensive stance as the door was pulled open and a passed out Lorcan tumbled out.

Aelin cackled as the others stepped back out of fright. Lorcan groaned and rubbed his eyes before muttering, "2 more minutes Elide" and turned on his side. He curled up into a ball and resumed his nap.

"Fenrys, he's dead bud", Aelin giggled as she noticed Fenrys was still waiting for her decision. The limbless man lay there motionless and pale from the blood loss. Fenrys shifted, "no matter, I can play with whoever sent him". He crossed his arms as he faced the high lords.

"Anyone want to own up?" Despite his drunkenness, Fenrys remained steady and upright as he stared down each of the fae.

The others remained silent which only left Aelin smirking before she sent a message down the bond to Fenrys.

Act as if we don't know. Let's have fun with this.

Fenrys nodded as he returned her smirk.

She let her gaze rest on the others in assessment.

Lucien shook his head and rose from his seat before adding, "May the Cauldron help the fool who did this. Aelin will definitely return the favour." He drunkenly stumbled towards the door and uncaringly pushed through the group gathered to make his exit.