7

The others had enough sense keep their mouths shut. Well, at least most of them did. Lucien smacked his own forehead as Cassian muttered "that's a mouthful". Aelin smirked at him before clicking her tongue. Feyre was impressed Cassian didn't flinch as Aelin's fiery eyes raked him from head to toe.

She circled him and the general concentrated on appearing cool and collected as the vulture zoned in on her prey. She paused on silent footing directly in front of him, just a hair's breadth away. Despite his height, the female appeared to look down at Cassian. "I doubt a female has said the same for you", she whispered but after hearing Mor howl with laughter, she knew that she was just loud enough for their fae hearing to pick up.

She strutted off as Cassian offered her back a vulgar gesture. "If we're done here, I'd like to sleep", she lifted an eyebrow as she turned and met their gazes. Rhys met her with a deadpan stare that would send any sane person running as he hissed, "Please do, I've got a migraine". He heard her giggle before she called over her shoulder, "I'll need to be at the library tomorrow, then I'm all yours for the meeting". She hooked her arm with Fenrys and strode towards their room. The mother was truly cruel as she chose this particular time to send Nesta from the opposite end of the hallway.

Time seemed to freeze as Nesta paused mid-stride and her usual emotionless gaze assessed the two strangers. The Queen offered a hand to her, "I'm Aelin and this is Fenrys", she cocked her head towards Fenrys who offered a friendly smile. Feyre expected a cold response but Nesta of all people, took Aelin's hand and shook it slowly. Her eyes held Aelin's as she slowly drawled "Nesta". They both just stood there, with their gazes locked and their hands stilled as they remained clasped in the air.

If the others were unsettled before, then they were gobsmacked by their unnatural friendly behaviour towards each other. Their hearts simultaneously stopped as the two females dawned matching smirks. They appeared as if they knew a secret no one else did and relished in their ignorance. Aelin winked at the girl before Nesta smirk grew and she moved to continue down her path.

Cassian felt his stomach drop when Aelin turned around and met his gaze with that unwavering smirk.

Mother's tits, she knew.

He waited for her to say something, anything that would damn him. No one else knew, not even Nesta. How Aelin could know so quick, he had no clue. Hell, he didn't even know for sure, but Aelin's face had confirmed what he thought since he'd met the eldest Archeron sister. His hand began to sweat and his face lost all colour while his knees almost betrayed him. He wasn't ashamed or embarrassed, quite the opposite, he wanted to scream it from the rooftops for Prythian to hear.

But ... Nesta didn't know, and he could guarantee she wasn't the least bit interested right now. It would drive her even further away and the Mother knows she could barely even tolerate him. Cassian was shocked though, when Aelin turned around and continued back to her room. He released a breath he didn't know he was holding and realised the rest of the room were watching him.

Waiting.

Were they waiting for an explanation?

He met their pointed looks, mostly curiosity, some concerned. He didn't care when all he could think of was that Aelin confirmed what he knew in his soul for so long now. He dismissed their looks, ignored them all as he stormed towards the balcony and shot to the skies. He flew through the city as he thought of the female he couldn't get out of his head.

His mate.

He closed his eyes for a moment and pictured her devastatingly beautiful face. Damn the mother this world was cruel. He'd only dreamed of ever being blessed with a mate and his prayers were answered with a slap in the face because she hated him. He could see her sharp eyes that hid so much emotion and her golden-brown hair that was always braided as a crown fit for the queen she was. He groaned as he imagined himself running his fingers through her loosened locks, holding her body to his, breathing in her scent. He barely even registered the mountains he had flown over. Didn't register anything aside from the mate he couldn't save when it mattered the most.