16

Lorcan swore under his breath, "bloody hell, the prick's still alive?"

Aelin nodded before turning her gaze towards the others, "I suggest you all sleep on my offer. We can regroup in the morning." With that Aelin stood, Fenrys and Lorcan followed suit and Lucien trailed behind as she exited the room, not even offering them a chance to respond.

The room was silent for a moment. "I do not appreciate your involvement with the foreign queen Rhysand", Beron drawled still red in the face from earlier.

Rhysand tapped a finger against the arm of his chair before he responded, "a warrior queen that has killed multiple Gods dropped into our world at the exact moment the God of Death raises an army to challenge Prythian. Why would I not seek her as an ally? For Cauldron's sake, my mother vouched for her."

"It could have been an illusion, how would you know if it was truly Eudo-", Beron began but was cut off by a burst of darkness. Rhysand couldn't help but release the damper he had on his power, releasing his true might. The room turned pitch black, encompassed in the power the others feared so much as each of the High Lords were reminded of his capabilities.

"Keep my mother's name out of your filthy mouth", Rhys warned before Beron began screaming. He'd leaned over in his seat with his head clasped tightly in his hands as he roared in pain.

Feyre had never seen Rhys lose control like this and she worriedly reached her tattooed arm out to grasp his palm in hers. The darkness suddenly disappeared and Beron fell to his knees heaving as his face regained colour.

I must say, Lorcan had the right idea cutting Tamlin's tongue out like that. I'd love to do the same to Beron, Feyre sent down the bond, to which Rhys smirked, amused at the bloodthirst that had apparently rubbed off onto her.

Helion shook from excitement, seemingly enjoying the entertainment. However, he regained focus and continued the conversation disregarding Beron's presence entirely, "whether or not I agree to work with her, I would like to take up her offer, her criteria of worthiness will be indicative of her values and ethics."

Tarquin agreed with Helion but the others were still unsure, untrusting towards a foreign monarch after Amarantha left destruction in her wake. They continued to debate well into the night before they unconsciously followed Aelin's advice and agreed to sleep on it.

_______________

"Aelin you don't have to sneak into their cellar", Lucien hissed as he hesitantly followed along.

"If you ask for wine, they give you the cheap shit", she hissed right back as she lightly padded her way through the castle.

Lucien only had a general idea of the whereabouts of the wine but didn't know an exact location. At the sight of Aelin's huff at his lack of knowledge, he had defensively stated that he had never needed to know.

After their exit from the meeting, a servant had led them to their prepared room only to have them bored and searching for wine a few minutes later.

Fenrys paused and placed his hand delicately on the mahogany door in front of them and sniffed deeply. His eyebrows furrowed before a flash of light appeared and he continued his actions in his wolf form. He turned and nodded towards Lorcan, who like Aelin automatically perceived that he would have the best sense of smell in his wolf form.

Lucien stood there gaping as Fenrys nodded and Lorcan booted the door as he did with Lucien's chair. What in the Cauldron is that man's leg made of?

The door splintered off the hatches along the edge. Aelin's quick reflexes reached out and grabbed the door handle before it hit the floor. Fenrys shifted into his fae form and took in the sight of the expansive wine collection, deeming his scenting job complete.

Fenrys didn't seem concerned with his selection as he opened the nearest bottle and took a large swig. Aelin, however, took her time as she read the labels and selected a few specific bottles she thought she'd enjoy. Lorcan followed Fenrys' suit as he grabbed two of the nearest crates. Lucien left the thieving to them and moved from one foot to the other, unnerved by their behaviour. He continuously checked if anyone was nearby and was relieved to have found no one by the time they were done.

Aelin led them back to their room as Fenrys continued to down his open bottle. Lorcan followed at everyone's back, constantly on guard. Lucien hadn't been able to gain an understanding of the dark male. He seemed to hate anything that breathed, including the Queen but refuse to leave her unguarded.

At first, he thought Aelin had forced him into submission until he saw the male offer her that small grin during the High Lords meeting. It may have been the furthest thing from a smile but Lucien knew it was a rare sight, the permanent creases that lingered from his frown lines were indication enough.

Lucien previously took pride in his constant ability to remain calm and collected but he was absolutely shitting it as Aelin's wild nature failed to keep him further distracted from the magnitude of information he just discovered..

What had he done?

He'd already messed up with Tamlin after he disappeared with his supposed fiance. Then, he seated himself amongst a foreign Queen's court and now he's joining her wild antics.

These thoughts plagued Lucien as they went through his head, over and over again. He barely registered the walk to the Queen's assigned room. He didn't register their voices or laughter. He just grabbed a random bottle from one of the crates Lorcan carried in and downed the red liquid.

He took a seat on the cushioned recliner in the corner of the room and continued to drink as the others got louder, drowning out the noise with his own unrelenting thoughts. He swirled the dark wine absentmindedly while the past events began to finally hit him. He didn't realise the extent of his drinking, not even when the contents had been fully emptied, only the joyous laughter and singing that came from the two blonds. 

A/N

I'm not kidding when I say positive feedback hypes me up to write. So this double update is given to you by jujupurjus and MaiaCS1, both of whom spammed this fic with votes and comments after my update last night. 

Please be like these two lovelies and:

- vote

- comment

- add to your library