04 | the start of something

| unedited |

A week has passed after Valerie had accepted Ms Hale's apology. Within this time frame, Valerie became mentally drained as she studied various subjects, only to give up halfway. Her advanced chemistry classes also offered no guidance.

Trapped in a classroom with your uncle's fiancee was more worrisome than Valerie had imagined. Everything bothered her in the class - the boys especially. Much like the animals they were, the boys had no self-control. Even the simplest movement, their gaze would follow, as if they were a predator stalking their prey - and in this case, it was Ms Hale.

However, Valerie couldn't be one to talk.

Internally she'd shame herself when she'd imagine unspeakable acts of her teacher. She welcomed these thoughts as if they'd happen, and for this, she was tempted to out herself to save her from future embarrassment.

Valerie had known better, and yet, her mind had thought differently. The young Walker's envision was perceived as a forbidden fruit, her reality was Adam, herself as a daring woman like Eve, and the temptress as Ms Hale.

With her deadbeat brain barely functioning as it is, Valerie couldn't have the self-control she always had over her life, let alone with the presence of Ms Hale.

Luckily for her, the bell had rung, making her life much easier to know the class was over.

"Ms Walker. Stay back."

Initially, Valerie was motivated to just sprint out of the class. Maybe for her, the pros had outweighed the cons, but in this case, it was a losing battle if she had ignored her teacher's request.

As presumed, Valerie had waited until all students had flooded out to the hallways before speaking. "Calling me back already? Did you see me with another flask?"

Realising what she had said, Valerie's eyes widened as she tried to fix her mistake. "I- ... Not that I have another."

Despite her better judgement, Ms Hale had chosen not to laugh at Valerie hesitation in words. "I called you back since you looked distracted in my class."

"Distracted? I was just uh ... concentrating?"

Rolling her eyes, Ms Hale took the liberty of shutting her computer off, allowing all her attention to the student in front of her.  "What would be possible thinking of during my lesson besides Chemistry?" She challenged, hinting at a small amount of amusement in her voice.

"You actually." Valerie wavered, immediately regretting she had spoken. "Not like that-"

The young Walker had stopped herself from continuing on, heaving a heavy breath before she got lost in the moment.

Why was she so timid? Was it because Ms Hale was practically a part of her family, or because she took a strange liking towards the woman, despite Elijah's claim.

"It's just a little strange that I know you outside of school, you know?"

Ms Hale could practically read Valerie like a book. From the stuttering, she knew the brunette was nervous, and it somehow made her feel warmer inside knowing she was. Ms Hale had recently felt strange when she was around Valerie, and for an unknown reason, it never bothered her deeply.

Ms Hale needed Valerie to trust her if she was to make their whole family relationship work.

"I'm assuming you've got a free period." Ms Hale spoke, her words brushing off as a statement rather than a question.

Confused, Valerie replied tilting her head slightly. "How'd you know?"

"Seniors have the fourth and fifth periods off normally on Wednesdays." The older woman explained as she tucked her computer within her tote bag. "Would you mind if I steal you for an hour?"

"Do I have a choice?" Valerie challenged, regaining the last ounce of confidence she had left.

Walking towards her, Ms Hale laughed lightly. "I'm afraid not, love."

• • • • • •

"Out of all the places, you took me to a cliff?"

As of right now, the two women were positioned on an earthly element, their shoes left in the trunk of Ms Hale's car and the last of their sanity was lost during the trip up to the edge of a nearby beach cliff.

To Valerie's surprise, Ms Hale led the way willingly, her footsteps leaving prints on the sand before the small amount of dirt that stacked to where they now stood.

From where Valerie stood, the mere silhouette of Ms Hale was to be seen as the sun had already begun to set. "Jump with me." She offered with a subtle smile, her lack of sanity was replaced with pure adrenaline.

"Are you serious? Do you wanna live an early life?" Valerie retorted, clutching a nearby stone to support the lack of grip she had so high up. "You're seriously considering jumping?" Looking below, Valerie noticed the water beneath her become awfully apparent, in a way resembling their possible death or fun demise.

"This is the only way I could think of for you to trust me." Ms Hale breathed out as she turned to the bewildered student. "Now that I look back at it, this wasn't a good idea to begin with."

"No shit." Valerie huffed, rolling her eyes. "I'm going back down. Either you can come with me, or I can meet your fucked-up body when you jump."

Beginning her step backwards, Valerie had turned her attention to the pathway leading down the bottom of the cliff, only for her wrist to be clutched loosely. "Valerie, do you trust me?"

At this time of the day, Ms Hale gave off a promising look, as if she depended on this moment to work. Though her mind was telling her differently, Valerie took that leap of faith, perhaps even a deadly leap to the bottom of the cliff, where the ocean met the element.

"If I die, it's on you." Valerie threatened playfully, almost regretting her decision as she peered down the cliff once more. "God, you're insane."

Whilst jumping off, somehow, Valerie and Ms Hale's hands intertwined intuitively, sending a wave of emotion both women refused to acknowledge at this point in time. With the air exploiting of salt and dirt, all disappeared in a pool of oceanic water, blurring Valerie's senses as she began to float to the surface as soon as she was slowly engulfed by the liquid, similarly to Ms Hale who floated beside her.

"Did you really need a life-threatening situation for me to trust you?" Valerie choked out, slicking her hair back as she peered beside her, only to see Ms Hale smiling.

From her view, Ms Hale could to the natural beauty of Valerie as all her make-up had gradually fallen alongside the water. "Perhaps I went a little too far." She lightly chuckled, using her body to keep her body stay afloat. "But do you?"

"Do I what?" Valerie questioned back, slightly distracted from the woman's fragile smile.

Repeating herself earlier, Ms Hale had now reframed from smiling as she tilted her head slightly, gazing just as intense as Valerie did. "Do you trust me?"

For some reason, Valerie did trust Ms Hale on some level. Perhaps it was from the near-death experience they both experienced together or just the simple fact that it felt compulsory for her. Valerie was known for overthinking. But maybe, just this once, the attachment she felt was genuine. Or maybe it was one-sided.

"... I do."

• • • • • •

a/n - okay ik the cliff scene was a lil too soon, but it'll make sense in a very later chapter since it'll link back.