42 | don't you know?

• • • • • •

Hand in hand, the duo mindfully ambled across the uneven ground, careful to guide each other amongst the jutted rocks that breathed the riptides of the ocean air.

Aurora, who strolled elegantly amongst the pitted landscape, was quick to lead the brunette towards the top of the cliff, whereas Valerie, who struggled to even walk in her heels, stayed behind Aurora, content in knowing she was there to guide her through the dulling environment.

"Let me take off my heels." Valerie groaned, barely worried for herself, but her heels.

Looking over her shoulder, Aurora cocked a smile, observing the brunette's struggling movement, somewhat amused by the way she'd try to dodge the bulging rocks to the side of her.

"We're almost there." Aurora softly spoke. "Hold on."

Heights weren't Valerie's thing, and considering they were reasonably high off the ground, with nothing but an ocean and sand to collapse on, she had a right to feel anxious. And the further they went up, the more fear anchored into the brunette's mind, causing her to keep her eyes trained on the ground, nothing else.

Finally, Aurora stopped, and as she turned, she watched as Valerie didn't look up despite stopping. "You can look up now."

Trusting her words, Valerie's gaze swept up, rather than what laid below her.

In an instant, Valerie's mind clicked in recognition. "I remember this place."

Hesitantly, Valerie stepped forward as her lips parted in awe. She had only seen this viewpoint in daylight, and even then, she didn't have much time to familiarise herself with the environment considering she jumped off the moment they arrived.

Under the moonlight, and with less mystery, the cliff looked breathtaking. And the view that accompanied it, was almost as beautiful as the woman that stood beside her.

"Mhm." The woman hummed.

Sensing movement from the corner of her eye, Valerie cocked her head to the side, almost instantly struck by the woman's moonlit complexion.

Her skin, which was already sunkissed, was a little paler under the moonlight, which brought out both the darkness, and femininity of her eyes. Her eyes lit up with a glow that reminded the brunette of the first time they met. Firm, yet fragile. Focus, and yet blurred.

"I nearly died here." Valerie said, feeling as if averting her gaze was a chore.

"You're so dramatic, there was water." Scoffing, the woman raised a brow as her hands crossed over her chest. "Unfortunately you survived the jump."

Straying away from the edge, Valerie inched closer to the blonde, and as she approached, Aurora held out a hand for her to take. "And what if I died a horrible death because of your manic ass? What would you do?"

The woman shrugged as she pulled the girl closer. "Then I would've died with you."

"Ah yes. Because living an early life with, at the time, with my uncle's fiancee, was my dream goal." Valerie mumbled as her lips curled into a smile.

As her gaze flickered between Valerie's lips and eyes, Aurora, in the moment, struggled to understand where to keep a levelled eye. Aurora found herself becoming distracted the more she'd stare, and even as she fell into a trance, she did nothing to stop it.

The woman allowed herself to fall deeper.

And deeper. And deeper into the warmth she felt with Valerie, and as she did, it seemed harder to snap out of it.