35 | its time to choose

• • • • • •

In the thick silence, Aurora felt the ache that carved her insides the more she stayed tongue-tied, doing nothing else but glancing over at the brunette with an invisible force that also kept her from speaking up.

Aurora knew her student wasn't supposed to be here. It was loud and clear to her that with her impulsive decision, came it's consequences.

And yet they both stood quiet, observing each other with subtle glances from opposite sides of the penthouse living room.

With a heavy heart, Valerie glanced at the woman with open eyes, her voice soft and fragile. "Why'd you bring me here, Aurora?"

Valerie watched Aurora, noticing the simple changes in not only her behaviour, but also her appearance.

It was clear to see the woman's exhaustion, especially in her eyes. She also saw the ache that swelled in her pupils, seeming to express her pain through her delicate gaze.

"This was the only place I considered private enough that we could talk freely." Aurora justified, taking a hand through her hair as she huffed.

"Unless it's about the academy, we don't need to talk." The brunette voiced, a familiar feeling bubbling within the core of her chest as she peered with dull eyes. "We're done, remember?"

Aurora remained glued to her spot, eyeing the keys to her left, and the door she knew wasn't locked.

The girl spoke, hoping for Aurora's cooperation as she crossed her arms over her chest, using a cold stare to gaze over at the woman who stood on the other side of the room. "If you don't have anything else to say, then take me back to the academy."

"To let you find your own way back to the estate at this hour? Not a chance." Aurora scoffed as she peered at the damp sky, watching the clouds slowly fade into the darkened atmosphere . "All I want is to talk to you. I don't want to argue."

Restraining a bothered sigh, Valerie rolled her eyes at the woman's stubbornness as she glanced at her with frustration, lips pressing together in angst.

"If we're here to 'talk,' then talk. I don't need to stay here any longer than I already should."

Valerie watched over the woman as she inhaled a generous breath, noticing her nervous figure briefly close her eyes in thought.

Steadily, Aurora laid out her truth, feeling a heavy anchor drop in her stomach that feigned on the whirlpool of liability that formed in the very pits of her figure. ".. I'm ready to choose."

The brunette looked at her expectedly, understanding what she meant as the words circled in her mind from the moment she said them.

"Don't you think it's a little late for that?" Valerie uttered, recalling the last conversation they had. "It's clear to me who you chose. You chose him. Good job. Now unlock the door."

The woman felt bad enough knowing the situation she had put Valerie in. Her heart ached as she watched the walls they knocked down together rebuild itself, growing higher than before.

"Must you be in such a rush to leave me?" Aurora spoke as her mood began to dampened, disappointment flashing across her face for a moment.

Deciding to bite her tongue, Valerie turned her head to the side as she swallowed down the last drop of maturity she had left.

"Aurora, all I asked of you was simple. If you hesitate in choosing between me and him, don't choose me." The girl remarked, making the distaste in her words easy for the woman to take note of. "And since you couldn't bring yourself to choose, I chose for you."