16 | do we see a solution?

• • • • • •

a/n - i just realised i wasn't writing the seasonal description right. my apologies for thinking ppl in england have summer first lol. i keep thinking ppl have australian weather. just pretend i didn't fuck that up rq.

btw this is the following day, so friday.

• • • • • •

Valerie had glanced up at the darkened sky, watching how as dimmed clouds formed, the light rain picked up. The pine trees in the school courtyard had swayed to the direction of where the wind pulled, loosened leaves flowing also.

Having arrived at the academy grounds, today was already set out to be a dreary day.

As per usual, Valerie walked into her first-hour class barely on time, her body already drained from the awful weather.

At the door was Ms Hale. The blonde's chest had tightened at the sight of the student who avoided looking into the woman's jaded eyes. Noticing the woman's stare, Valerie stifled a remark, biting down her words as she made her way to an already saved seat next to Eden.

Eden also peered at the grey clouds above her, assessing the weather lazily whilst she laid her head on the desk, her ears picking up the nearing steps of her friend. "I hate winter." She mumbled, pitting herself from her own hatred of the dull season.

Valerie took the liberty to slouch back in her chair, her body slightly slipping downwards in comfort as she smiled down at her saddened friend. Feeling a directed stare, Valerie had hesitantly looked up as she saw Aurora's tall figure emanate the room. The brunette locked eyes with her as she made her way to the front of the classroom, matching her blank expression.

The woman had released a shaky breath as Valerie was the first to look away, discarding the woman completely to turn to Eden, who still had her head on the desk.

Yesterday, Aurora had been unreasonable, and yet, Valerie somehow understood her concern. Though the women hadn't known each other for long, they formed a quick connection that neither have experienced before.

Much to Valerie's dismay, her very insides had urged for her to talk to the woman, excluding her own personal feelings in the mix. She didn't want to - she obviously wanted to be waved off - but it still felt so urgent to her that she discarded how to she about the woman currently.

Quietly, Valerie sighed, turning forward likewise to everyone else. Leaning her head on her palms, the brunette watched as Ms Hale explained the lesson's practical, which seemingly looked easy to execute.

Valerie had reluctantly got up, finding her designated practical table with the items needed already set out in front of her.

The student held a delicate expression as she carried out her experiment, her palms finding one of three colourless solutions and pouring it into a beaker, then repeating this process until all three solutions are emptied into the container.

Over the span of 3-5 minutes, the mixture in the beaker had changed colour between clear, deep amber, and finally a darkened blue.

From behind the brunette, Ms Hale had arrived at her station after a hesitant amount of time stalling. "Well done, Ms Walker."

With natural observance, Ms Hale had noticed how her student's figure had stiffened in her presence, and how her body slightly shifted to the side.

Valerie, admittedly, liked the subtly in the woman's praise, her insides shamelessly burning with undeniable warmth at the sound of her voice. "Thanks."

Glancing over to the girl, Ms Hale locked eyes with Valerie. Due to the yellow-tinged glare above them, it enabled the brunette's almond eyes to successfully astound the woman who starred downwards, lost in her student's beauty.

A reluctant question hovered out of the woman's mouth as she tried to start a small conversation between the two, hoping that the tension would soon subside in its own time. "How are you?"

Valerie returned her attention back onto her experiment as she drained the solutions down the drain, opening the tap next to her cautiously to help empty the fluid. "I'm fine. You?"

"I'm good."

It was successful to say that the awkwardness didn't subside.

The short-sided sentences irked the woman knowing she wanted more from the girl. Rather, expected more for her to say.

Sighing, Valerie pushed a stray strand away from the side of her cheek, tucking it behind her ear as she grew impatient and rather blunt. The brunette could obviously see the woman's attempt to rebuild their friendship, but in all its entirety, there was no use in doing so. "You're really bad at this. Conversations, that is."

"I'm just- .. " Ms Hale began to trail off, hoping that she'd say anything to cover her embarrassment.

"-Tense? Mhm, I can tell." Valerie deadpanned, her bronzed skin beaming an undertone of a pale shade of red on her cheeks.

"Well, wouldn't you be tense if a student said that she took an interest in you? Let alone being a student that you'd be socially involved with outside of the academy?" Ms Hale found herself lowering her voice, leaning down slightly as she hovered over Valerie's shoulder as she whisper-yelled her issue quite clearly.

"If it bothers you so much, why didn't you forget about it?"

Suddenly, Valerie pivoted her initial position. Now, the student was facing her teacher, a blank expression on her face as the rest of her peers continued on with their experiment, oblivious to the conversation that was held at the back of the classroom.

Ms Hale starred back, surprised at how calm the girl was. She had assumed she took this conversation lightly which bothered her even more.

"Do you really want to discuss this now ?"

Edged with sarcasm, Valerie replied as a small smile crept onto her lip in annoyance. "Do you ever want to discuss what happened at the market, or are you just gonna avoid it as you did to me?"

Despite the loud conversations around them, Ms Hale kept quiet. Valerie and awaited a response, however upon realising the woman had no reply, Valerie continued the conversation herself, adding onto her initial concern. "There's no point in avoiding me. I won't simply get over the kiss, and you know that."

Because you like me .. Aurora thought, her mind still spiralling at the girl's three voiced words.

"I know .." The woman mumbled under her breath, her insides feeling as if they could explode. "Do you have a free period today?

Valerie nodded, turning back to her desk as she noticed another student coming to the back of the classroom, science equipment in her hands.

"Then come back here and we'll talk then. I'm here all day."

a/n - happy late new years everyone !!