24 | a change of perspective

a/n - tbh i don't really like how i did this chapter, but ig it's juicy enough :((

| A.H | narrator pov | a few hours later |

Following quick in pursuit, Elijah's voice echoed through the thick walls that led to Aurora's penthouse suite, his footsteps becoming heavier with each step he took.

"You can't stop ignoring me, Aura." He called out as he irritatedly raked his hands through his hair.

In one swift motion, Aurora opened her penthouse door, removing her key from the slot in a hurried motion. "Is that not what I've been doing for the past day and a half?"

In desperation, Elijah's voice increased in sound as he quickly slipped past the closing door. "If you would just let me explain everything, then you wouldn't be overreacting about—" 

As the blonde set each of her items on a nearby counter, a generous thump followed after. "—Overreacting? Are you serious?"

In a frustrated manner, she swiftly turned around to her fiancée as she raised a knowing brow, his expression barely readable as he stared back.

"So you wouldn't mind if I arrived to your work unannounced after you found me pissed after a 'business' night out? Not to mention, found with another woman's lipstick under my collar?" She quoted.

Expectedly, barely a justified response came out of the man's mouth as he moved in a vexed manner. "You act as if I slept with her, when she only kissed me! I was drunk god dammit." He yelled, losing his patience.

Like that makes it's any better, jackass. "Just leave, Elijah." Aurora compromised exhaustedly. "I seriously don't have time for any of this—"

"—Then when will you?" The man countered, perhaps as frustrated as his fiancée. "Because I'm starting to believe that you never have time for me anymore."

As she scoffed, Aurora's chest inflated with heavy adrenaline, and each time she exhaled, a sense of her love for the man went out with it. "Are you seriously trying to pin this argument on me?"

"Ever since the lodge you've barely even spoken to me, let alone look at me." Elijah justified, ignoring Aurora's prior claim. "You're never fully focused whenever you're with me, and you've completely changed ever since you've been coming back from the academy late—"

"—Are you assuming I cheat on you?" She scoffed.

In this moment, Aurora's heart began to slowly shatter as it was struck with the harsh realisation that unfortunately for her, she inherited the worst traits that her fiancée influenced over her for the prior years.

It was obvious to say that Aurora was never familiar with this feeling.

The woman was aware of her guilt. And yet, she continued to feel no shame whenever she kissed her student.

"Well did you?" He challenged out of complete spite.

Immediate embarrassment burnt within the man's chest as he noticed the woman's frown slowly twist into an amused smile, and as it did, his words began to wither within the back of his throat.

However upon receiving a silent answer from the earthly silence, Elijah's jaw clenched tightly in distraught as he stared back equally as stubborn as she did.

Though her voice came out unreasonably casual. It was enough for Elijah to notice the mocking edge to her tone.  "Un-fucking-believable."

A sudden wire broke in the woman's brain as she bargained for her lost patience, and now instead, she displayed more than frustration, alongside her internal guilt.

"Since when does my lack of presence cause you to question my loyalty to you?"

There was a moment of silence where the woman's irritated green eyes connected back with the man's stubborn hazel orbs, and with this, Elijah felt himself buckle under the tension, which in due time, acted as a noose around his neck, forcing out the wrong thoughts as his last-minute defence.

"That's—" In bitterness, Elijah's words fell short, preventing himself from further embarrassment. "That's not what I meant, Aurora."

"Then what did you mean, Elijah?" The woman spoke out of disgust, her words sending jolts of harsh pricks that ran through the man's brusque figure. "Because I'd love for you to elaborate on that."

Just as it did previously, Aurora took the words out of his mouth, making him incapable to confidently reply back.

"We're getting married, Elijah. What more do you expect me to do if I can't even trust you for one night?" Aurora murmured in a thin, exhausted tone.

His hazels eyes perked up expectantly at the mention of their marriage, and in doing so, he slid his toned arms to his chest, involuntarily flexing a muscle as he began to regain his confidence.

"Aurora, I told you before, and I'm telling you again. It was a mistake. Believe me when I say that I am trying for you."

"I wouldn't say kissing other women is trying, Elijah." Aurora replied bluntly, her indignant expression remaining in-tacked. "I cant keep giving you second chances after you fuck me over."

"I know." He muttered under his breath. "There won't be a next time, okay?" The man comforted as he neared closer, but with each step he took, Aurora traveled backwards further.

"You always say that." She laughed humourlessly as she moved over to one of her high-chairs. "And each time, you're always wrong."

At the sound of her reply, the man's heart sunk below his own figure, delving under the ground further each time Aurora would look at him differently. ".. I know."

After a short moment of pure silence, it had seemed the anger that resided in Aurora's chest somehow depleted. Instead, it settled as small grains of truth within the woman's words "Just once, I'd like to see you prove me wrong."

"I will." Elijah reassured lightly, unsure in his own capability in doing so as he pivoted his gaze elsewhere, somewhat ashamed with himself.

"You'd think I'd be used to your lies." She continued with a pitiful gaze, her head hung downwards. "Perhaps I'm just as naive as you met me. Or maybe you've just got better at lying to me."

"I don't understand how I'm supposed to reply to that." Elijah replied softly, his feet mindlessly trailing forward towards the blonde. "But I'm sorry."

"I know. You always are." Aurora sighed as she moved her hands to support the weight of her chin.

Before the man could reach his fiancée, the woman spoke with a apologetic tone as she turned her head to see Elijah's dull expression, watching it become duller as her words passed through his ears.

"..But this time, I don't think I can forgive you that easily knowing what you did."

• • • • • •

a/n - just a small reminder that this is the final month that youse will be getting 2 chapters.

<33