Chapter 62

~ Betrayal in the eye of the beholder,

Shame only runs skin deep. ~

***

He had surely not wanted to do that.

James was a brother to him and his closest friend, a boy he had kept idealizing ever since he had come to know him. And yet he the decision he had to take would doom his best friend and his family to death.

But to Peter, it felt as if he had no other choice either. Voldemort was already aware that he was the Potters' secret keeper hence lying to him was not an option. If he lied to him about anything or did not do as the Dark Lord wished, he would no doubt be killed in a heartbeat.

The Dark Mark on his lower left arm stung and right next moment, he was standing among the Death Eaters, all clad in their dark robes and terrifying masks.

Peter felt no less than a prey thrown to a hungry wolf as he was pushed forward to where Voldemort sat, eyeing his followers with disdain.

"Pettigrew... I hope you have what I wanted from you," his voice was a serpentine hiss as he demanded, blood red irises narrowed to threatening slits.

"Y-yes My Lord..." He bowed his head lower, shivering from fear and his voice too came out in stutters.

"Now tell me... Where are they hiding?" 

The sharp voice cut through him and he felt his heart sink. knowing very well that if he gave that answer, he would be pushing James, Lily and baby Harry to their deaths.

But then, if he didn't, he would be the one brutally tortured and killed instead.

And in his panic, Peter had chosen the Dark side so that he could survive the war so he had to do what the Dark Lord was asking him to.

"G-Godric Hollow," the words escaped him and tears prickled in his eyes, "they are staying in Fleamont and Euphemia Potter's old home."

"Ah I see... And are there any means of protection to secure them? Another wizard or member of the Order staying on guard over them?"

"No... N-no one but James and Lily..."

"And their son Harry, is it correct? Harry James Potter, the Chosen One... Bullshit!"

The glass in the wizard's hand crashed to smithereens as he rose from his chair while Peter quickly stumbled back, cowering in terror. He braced himself to be attacked by a curse, for agonizing pain to shoot up his body and render him helpless. But nothing of that sort happened.

Hesitantly, he brought his eyes up to look at the Dark Lord and saw his deadly lips turn up into an evil smirk.

"Fear not, Pettigrew, you have done well," his sharp voice seemed somewhat softer but just as manipulative, "if you continue to obey me, you will have nothing to fear. You will have power and glory and you will no longer have to live in the shadow of your... Friends..."

The last word was spoken with contempt and bitter venom as if Voldemort personally had something against the notion of having friends.

"My Lord, is there any way we can serve you with?" Bellatrix Lestrange had stepped forward, her voice sickly sweet as she addressed Voldemort, head bowed low in respect.

"No Bella dear. I just wish to pay the Potters a short visit," he replied, "however, Pettigrew can leave in the meanwhile but if he dares to warn his friends or do anything to backstab me, I want you to kill him."

"My Lord, I would never..." Peter shook as he pleaded.

Voldemort's evil laugh filled up the lair, "your loyalty is in question. It will always be in question. After all you betrayed your closest friends just so you could stay alive, I wonder what you would do next to elude death... Betray us even?"

"M-My Lord... Pardon me..."

But Voldemort did not have time to listen to his pathetic pleas. Instead he disapparated, knowing full well where the Potters were hiding as the Secret Keeper had given him the location.

All he had to do was to get rid of the child before he could grow up to become the Chosen One, the wizarding world's only ray of hope against Lord Voldemort.

Bellatrix's shrill cackle resonated around Peter as she spoke up, "did you hear, Pettigrew, no mischief. Or else you will be no better than darling James and Lily and their itty bitty baby..."

Peter felt terrible but there was nothing he could do. Not only had he betrayed his best friend's trust in him, he had also guaranteed them death at the hands of the greatest Dark Wizard to ever exist.

There was no way Voldemort would spare them and only kill Harry. There was no way James and Lily would let their son die without then being killed first.

And Peter had been responsible for all that was about to commence. The death of Potters would be on Peter's shoulders because he was their secret keeper and he chose to betray them.

It was all to survive, he reminded himself but right then his own words felt like a lie.

On the other hand, Godric Hollow was silent as night had deepened and a solitary dark figure crossed the path, eyes landing upon the door of the house that was about to go up in flames.

From the window, he could see a beautiful redhead woman rocking her child to sleep while her husband was playing a soft tune on his guitar.

Too bad, that happy little family would no longer be the same when the figure would leave.

His pale hand brandished the yew wand that he positioned over the door, lips set into a lethal smirk.

"Bombarda," he whispered the curse and he door flew off its hinges.

The man who had been playing the guitar earlier stood up, eyes wide in realization. He could sense the presence of the Dark Wizard who had come to kill them.

"Lily, take him and go," he rushed his wife and child upstairs, standing against the Dark Lord without even a wand to protect himself yet willing to sacrifice himself from his family.

"Hello, James Potter," the eerie voice chilled him to the bone as Voldemort removed the hood from his face, blood red irises piercing through hazel and the yew wand pointed straight at him.

***