Chapter 48

~ Some hope for the future some wait for the call,

To say that the days ahead will be the best of all. ~

***

House number seven at Magnolia Crescent was crowded as all the friends had joined Felicity and Marlene over there. Sirius and Peter had just returned from their Order mission as well and though Sirius was furious at not being informed about the attack at the Latvia's residence earlier, Felicity explained everything later on.

For the time being, they had all gathered at Magnolia Crescent to plan the upcoming wedding of James Potter and Lily Evans. Despite the depressing times looming ahead, their union seemed like the only bright ray in the dark, the only highlight for them to look forward to.

Light music resonated in the living room as James strummed upon his guitar while Sirius and Marlene started to sing hit songs by the famous Muggle band The Beatles. James would change the tune unexpectedly every now and then to a different song and then either Sirius or Marlene would guess it correctly then start singing it.

"Cellophane flowers of yellow and green towering over your head. Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes and she's gone. Lucy in the sky with diamonds," Lily guessed the song next and James smiled fondly at her as he changed the tune once again.

Sirius almost jumped in his seat recognizing the song he always played on repeat on the radio Remus had gifted him with on his fifteenth birthday. "Living is easy with eyes closed misunderstanding all you see. It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out. It doesn't matter much to me, let me take you down. 'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields!"

Gradually all of them had joined in the guessing game and despite the war looming ahead, for a short time the friends were happy together, making the best out of the time they had for they knew that nothing was certain ahead.

"What would you think if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song and I'll try not to sing out of key," Peter began the intro and was soon joined by the four of them for it was a song they had sung loud in the castle grounds, their voices flowing together perfectly for it was a well rehearsed song for the Marauders, "oh, I get by with a little help from my friends. Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends. Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends."

Laughter and joy had spread in the house after a very long time and even Felicity felt quite relaxed, a feeling which she had never sensed at Magnolia Crescent after her father's death. But with her friends surrounding her, she felt much better and for a short time she could forget the worries clouding her life.

James moved the cable on his guitar and changed the chords as he began the intro of the next song. Though it didn't take long for him to play the music alone as Marlene's eyes sparkled, realizing what song he had played. 

"If I fell in love with you, would you promise to be true? And help me understand, 'cause I've been in love before. And I found that love was more than just holding hands," her olive green eyes locked with Felicity's and a slight pink shade dawned on her features as well.

But she lowered her gaze for it was a topic she and Marlene had never brought up, both not wanting to threaten their friendship at any cost. For the two were still uncertain whether the other felt the same or not and they could not endanger the bond they already had among them.

James changed the tune once again to a soft but mellow sound, striking somber notes as his fingers pressed on the strings at the fret board. Silence fell upon the living room as all ears were focused on listening further in order to guess the song. James continued the melody passing the first two stanzas when the silence was broken at last by Felicity's voice.

"Many times I've been alone and many times I've cried. Anyway you'll never know the many ways I've tried," her voice was low but echoed in the silence beautifully, "and still they lead me back to the long winding road."

James nodded for she had guessed the right song and smiled, encouraging her to go on as he joined her in singing the rest of the lines, "you left me standing here, a long long time ago. Don't leave me waiting here, lead me to your door."

"But still they lead me back to the long winding road. You left me standing here, a long long time ago. Don't keep me waiting here, lead me to your door," by then all the friends had joined in, their voices was harmoniously overlapping together.

He strummed on the guitar, restarting the first stanza and all of them kept singing in chorus. 

"The long and winding road, that leads to your door, will never disappear. I've seen that road before, it always leads me here. Lead me to your door."

The soft music and their voices tied together in chorus painted a beautiful end to the evening. The darkness of night was spreading indicating that it would soon be time for them to leave but the music continued.

James's fingers played the chords effortlessly, his hazel eyes crinkling in delight for he was in a company he enjoyed, surrounded by his friends.

And that evening was nothing short of a temporary escape from all the horrors that awaited ahead of them inevitably. For the time being they all wished to forgot the past and the future, living fully in the present moment.

For there was no knowing when they would get to spend another delightful evening like that. There was no knowing if they would all even meet each other in such happy spirits again or not.

***