Chapter 44

~ I would do anything for you, not in words let my actions speak it.

Let the sun decide that it won't shine until I say that we are through. ~

***

The Leaky Cauldron was brimming with life and chatter as its usually empty halls were full of young witches and wizards. The life of the gathering were the four known troublemakers, who even after graduating from Hogwarts brought joy to the people around them.

Along with the Marauders, their whole group of friends was present and they were all gathered at the Leaky Cauldron not only to meet up after their graduation but also to bear witness to a much awaited moment that was kept strictly confidential between the four.

The drinks had been served and a merry sight was painted in the otherwise gloomy pub when James approached Lily and the whole pub went silent as he dropped down on one knee in front of her, holding out his hand for her to take.

A beautiful shade of scarlet dawned on her cheeks as she placed her hand in his, observing the radiant smile that had taken over James's face such that his hazel eyes shone in delight.

And at that moment, all the people present realized exactly what was about to happen.

James Potter was finally going to propose to Lily Evans.

Felicity felt a hand interlace through hers and turned to see Marlene, her face just as radiant as James. Excitement dripped from each feature of hers as she squeezed her hand, "Merlin, I've waited so long for this."

A slow smile spread on Fel's face as well as she looked at the two who were quite the center of attention at that moment, "so have I."

After that first date to the Three Broomsticks in their sixth year, James and Lily had gone out together quite often and had come to much friendlier terms than before. Despite the bets half the school had placed on the two dating, they had denied it but now it seemed as if the truth had come out in the open at last.

Amid all their arguments that later turned into long discussions then to friendly banters and early morning walks by the lake to the occasional meetup in the Hogwarts Kitchens... The two had undeniably fallen in love with each other.

"Pray to God he doesn't mess up his words," Sirius remarked loud enough for only Remus and Felicity to hear who were standing right beside him.

Remus remarked, "judging from all his previous encounters with Lily, I can not be certain either."

"I wrote a backup speech just in case," Peter pointed to a piece of parchment sticking up from James's pocket.

"Then I do hope he doesn't have to use the backup," Marlene playfully remarked, "no offense meant though."

"None taken. I know in such matters it's best to let one's heart take the lead."

Sirius patted his back appreciatively, "that's my boy, Pete. Looks like you could be a perfect matchmaker in the near future." 

Finally James began to speak and much to their surprise, his voice was calm and steady though they knew he always got extremely nervous in front of Lily. But that once it seemed as if he had thought well on what to say and the words poured from him in an effortless yet genuine confession. 

"The first time I saw you, I was so struck that I nearly fell out of the boat in the Giant Lake and would have drowned had it not been for the Squid that lives at the bottom. The first time we spoke, you called me an arrogant idiot and given the circumstances you had been totally correct to label me as such. The first time you agreed to go on a date with me, you had made it clear that we would not have a second. But the first time we kissed, I realized that you're the only one I ever want to be with in my life. The only one I want to take out on dates, to the movies or just to the woods for a quiet pleasant walk. The only one I want to live the rest of my days with."

The whole gathering oohed and aahed at the cuteness of the moment for Lily was blushing and smiling at the same time while James was pouring his heart out with a rather lovestruck expression in his eyes.

He took out a ring from his pocket, holding it up towards her, "now I'm asking you if you will go on one more adventure with me... Lily Evans, will you marry me?"

For a second, she froze not able to process what had just happened. Her lips parted as if to say something but no words came out as Lily seemed rather overwhelmed. Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes but she nodded her head in affirmation, "yes. Yes, I will."

He slipped the ring on to her finger and immediately afterwards, he swept her off her feet, twirling her around in delight, "thank you. Thank you so so much for making me the happiest man alive on earth."

A blissful laugh escaped her as she held onto him, nestling her head in the crook of his neck, "James Potter, you truly are a complete statement."

The whole place went wild with cheers, hats were thrown in the air and bottles were corked open to celebrate. After such a long time, the friends felt truly happy, able to forget the dangers of the war that lurked over them. For at that moment, the only thing that mattered was the present. And the present revolved around James Potter and Lily Evans.

With their world at war, no one was certain of the next moment hence James had decided to make the most of the life they had got left and finally picked up his guts to propose Lily. And his decision had been right because it had become a source of joy to them in their otherwise dull lives.

When he finally placed her down, his face was radiant with pure joy and his hazel eyes sparkled brighter than ever before, "I love you, my Lily flower."

She flung her arms round his neck, pulling him close as she mumbled right before kissing him sweetly, "I love you too, James."

***