Chapter 2

~ I'm a troublemaker, not a double taker,

I don't have the patience to keep it on the up. ~

***

"Mum! I can't find my spectacles! I think I might have mislaid them. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do for one whole year without my specs. Torture, absolute torture. I can't go about bumping into stuff everywhere, it will spoil my Quidditch God reputation!"

"Honestly, James, you're wearing your spectacles. At the top of your head," Mrs Potter called out from the room beside as she was sorting out the newly brought books for fifth year.

"I what?" the messy haired boy patted his head to find that the specs were actually there, "oh..."

A lopsided grin spread on his face as he flicked them back down over his eyes. "Thanks Mum. You're my savior!"

James Potter was one tough kid to handle. Being the only son of Fleamont and Euphemia Potter didn't help his case either. As he had been born after years of waiting, the Potters made sure their boy had everything he desired. And this habit of taking all he wanted had left him a little spoilt if not much.

Even at school, James was the golden boy. Quidditch Star and now promoted to Captain, excellent at Transfiguration and part of the most notorious group ever known in Hogwarts' History: the Marauders.

As he rushed down the stairs for breakfast, an owl swooped in through the window landing on his shoulder. "Ah, there you are Holly. You gave the letter to Sirius, didn't you?"

Holly hooted in affirmation and held out its tiny leg. Noticing the letter tied to its leg, a wide smile spread on his face, "and you got a reply back too. Good girl."

At the dining table, Fleamont was waiting for his son to join them. Euphemia placed the dishes on the table and called him over. Of course the Potters had house elves, it was a common aspect of wizarding households. But their darling son believed in giving house elves their day offs too.

And usually those day offs happened to be on those times when Euphemia could clearly do so with another helping hand. That is, the days James had to start a new term at Hogwarts.

"Morning Mum, Dad!" James sat down and grabbed the plate in front of him, "buttered toast and scrambled eggs, delicious."

"James, you sure your trunk is fully packed?" Euphemia asked opening the trunk and giving everything one final look.

"Yup, I guess. I mean, you packed it last night, right?"

"Yes dear but I hadn't put your toothbrush in just in case... Just so you don't forget to floss in the morning."

"Ah... Not a big problem," he took his wand out from his pocket, "Accio Toothbrush!"

Five different toothbrushes came whizzing through the air and hit Fleamont in the face.

"Ooops, sorry Dad," James picked them up and deciding one which was in the best condition he gave it to his mother and placed the remaining on the counter.

"Didn't we tell you not to use magic in the house, son? You are not of age yet," Fleamont rubbed his head before focusing on his tea.

He shrugged carelessly, "but that's the perk of being a pureblood. So much magic goes on in the house that the Ministry can't decide who cast the spell. Let's just say it was Mum who summoned the toothbrush."

"Five toothbrushes?" she raised an eyebrow skeptically at her son who was scratching the back of his neck. Something he did whenever Euphemia looked at him like that.

"Well... I keep losing them every week or so. And Dunky is not too good at finding so I get him to bring me a new one. Thinking of Dunky, you did give them all a holiday, right?"

She answered while locking his trunk, "I did. Now James, we know you're fifteen and all grown up but that doesn't mean you can do anything you please. You do remember that it's OWLs year and you can not flunk any of your subjects. We want you to have a bright future and for that you have to study well."

He gave an enthusiastic nod, "I understand. I assure you I won't flunk any subject. Or rather... You know I can't be sure about Astronomy."

"James, we don't mind any of the antics you cause but you will have to get a little serious in Astronomy," his father remarked folding the Daily Prophet away and standing up as a cue to leave, "you better finish this up fast. Wouldn't want to miss the train now, would you?"

Euphemia kissed James goodbye while both father and son stood in front of the fireplace. Fleamont sprinkled in the floo powder.

"Don't cause a lot of trouble, dear," she said and watched her son nod in affirmation with a mischievous spark in his eyes.

Of course it wouldn't be very James like to not cause any trouble.

"Kings Cross Station."

They stepped into the fireplace and were gone in the blink of an eye. Euphemia picked the used up dishes and levitated them to the kitchen.

There was only one thing left for her to do now; send a letter to Aurora Sinistra in order to hear about her son's progress in Astronomy. And probably suggest something to help James in the subject.

He could definitely do with a tutor and a little more help as far as Astronomy was concerned. And Aurora being the Astronomy Professor at Hogwarts would know very well of who was capable enough to be assigned with the task of tutoring James.

She sat down on the table with a parchment and quill. After she was done writing out the whole letter, she read it once and then sealed it in an envelope, tying it to Holly's leg.

"Make sure you deliver this before the feast."

Holly hooted and flew out of the window as Euphemia went back to her work in the kitchen.

***