Chapter 31

~ I'm blind from the tears that fall like rain

So lost ever since you went away. ~

***

Felicity was up in her room, choosing what dress to wear since Stefan had said that they had to go on an official dinner that night. She had initially refused saying that it would be better if only Esther and Stefan went, but he declined and insisted that she was part of the family too.

Knowing that these were the few times when Stefan would try to make an effort for the family, she had agreed.

She was just placing everything back in the cupboard when the bell started to ring. Once, twice, thrice... She was quite annoyed at the impatience of whoever was outside and leaving what she was doing, she went downstairs.

Esther had opened the door by now and both of them were surprised to see Sirius standing there.

"Esther, who's there?" Stefan too came out of his room.

An unnerving feeling gripped Fel when she saw that Sirius looked nothing like his usual self, his eyes were red as if he had cried and he was in a very disheveled state.

"It's just... He's a friend of Felicity's," Esther replied reluctantly then turning to Sirius she spoke, "Sirius, dear, why don't you come in?" She too had noticed his state and was quite worried deep inside.

"I... I'm sorry Ma'am but... Felicity, you'll have to come with me."

His voice was hoarse and came out quite choked which made her even more anxious.

"You know very well, Sirius that..."

He interrupted her, the plea written clearly in his grey eyes, "Uncle... He's not... Just come with me, please."

The color drained from her face at that, "what happened to him?"

Sirius didn't answer but the expression on his face was enough to clarify that the situation was much worse than they had thought.

Stefan was standing there quite confused at what was going on. He didn't know why but Sirius looked familiar to him, the boy reminded him of Alphard Black, Esther's previous husband and he didn't want his assumption to turn out correct. He didn't want anything that linked his wife's past near them.

Esther nodded recovering from the shock, "go, Fel. I'll handle everything here."

At her statement, Stefan spoke up, "you can't send your daughter with him, Esther, what are you doing?"

She turned to face him with a grave look in her eyes, "I know what I'm doing. I'll explain everything. She has to go."

At her approval, Felicity and Sirius rushed to the motorbike and got on it as quick as possible. Sirius revved up the engine and they sped off.

After they were gone, Esther sat down on a nearby chair clearly exhausted, with her head in her hands.

"What was all that about?" Seeing her so exhausted made him regret asking that. However, he bent down on his knees to be face to face with her, "are you alright?"

"No," she shook her head.

He gently took her hands in his, "who was this Sirius? And why was he asking for Fel to come with him?"

Tears were threatening to pour out from her eyes but she held them back, "he's her cousin. Alphard's nephew."

"So... You mean to say that you told her everything?"