Chapter 46

~ I'm nobody's hero but for you I'd lay down my life.

Nobody's hero, but I'd tear down the stars from the sky. ~

***

After the call got disconnected, James got extremely worried. He and Lily managed to contact Dumbledore informing him of the attack at Felicity's house. It hadn't been the first time for Death Eaters to attack Muggleborns since such attacks had been going on for almost an year, spreading fear among the wizarding community.

Dumbledore alerted the Order members and sent an unofficial rescue squad along with James to help Felicity out. The squad consisted of James, Lily, Remus, Marlene and other members of the Order of the Phoenix. Sirius and Peter had already been sent on a mission elsewhere so they were not yet informed of the attack.

The Order members arrived at Fairmile Lane in time to stop the Death Eaters from completely tearing away the protective shields Fel had placed around the house and a battle of curses broke forth between them instead.

The darkness of the night was torn by the jets of green and red lights being exchanged between the two groups until the Death Eaters had to retreat, not able to stand their ground in front of the valiant Order members.

Though the attack had resulted in a lot of chaos as Felicity's house was almost in shambles while the neighborhood too had been affected adversely.

Thankfully not many Muggles lived on the street so a few of the Order members were tasked to repair the damage and obliviate any witnesses while James and the rest of his friends rushed inside to check up on Felicity and Esther.

All the windows had shattered from the intensity of the attack while in the center of the living room, both Felicity and Esther were crouched down on the floor to avoid the flying curses, a weak shield charm erected around them. Esther had lost consciousness but Fel was holding on to her, her own eyes drooping from fatigue and face pale from the nerve racking encounter.

"Felicity!" James bent down in front of her and seeing him, she removed the shield charm at last, her grip slackening on to her mother as exhaustion hit her with full force. 

James reached out to support her as Remus and Marlene lifted her mother and laid her down on the couch, checking for injuries. Maintaining the shield charms and deflecting such intense curses for a really long time had drained Felicity out entirely and she was not in the state to answer anything.

Knowing that their place could no longer be safe from them, it was decided to take the two to the Order Headquarters where they would be provided with proper medical treatment and other decisions regarding their safety would be taken later on.

Making sure that there were no Muggle neighbors looking out at them and the house had been restored so as not to raise any suspicions, the Order members cautiously disapparated taking Felicty and Esther to the Headquarters with them.

***

The Order of the Phoenix held its Headquarters in one of Dumbledore's private estates which was hidden protectively from people other than the Order members. Strong enchantments had been placed around it to ensure safety and secrecy.

So far the Order had very few members out of which luckily there were two Healers who tended to the injuries sustained by Felicity and her mother. Other than them, the Order consisted mostly of Dumbledore's close acquaintances, former Aurors, a few notable witches and wizards as well as the new recruits from Hogwarts graduates such as the Marauders and their friends. Felicity herself had not been a part of the Order of the Phoenix at that time though. 

James was pacing concernedly in the room where Felicity was kept after her treatment. She was still unconscious but her mother had recovered earlier so Marlene and Lily had been explaining the whole situation to her in the other room.

Remus stood by the door, observing his friend's worry and gently patted his back in an attempt to reassure him, "she just needs a little rest, she will be okay soon."

"I hope so," James replied though his hazel eyes were transfixed on her, "how is Mrs Latvia now?"

"She's much better," he spoke, "Marlene and Lily explained everything to her and so far we all think it will be better if she and her husband go back to Italy. So that they can be far from the war that is doomed upon us."

"But Felicity..."

"We will tell her everything and ask her when she wakes up. Don't worry, no decision can be taken without her consent."

He had to step aside from the door as Esther entered, holding on to Marlene for support. Her face was clouded with worry for her daughter as she sat down on the chair beside her bed, taking her thin hand in hers.

Remus gestured James to step out to which he obliged, following him as they left the room.

"Have you told Sirius?" he asked at last, knowing that Sirius was probably unaware of the whole situation.

"Not yet," Remus replied, "Dumbledore thinks it would be better not to contact them so as to ensure they don't get traced out."

"And has Dumbledore told us what we should do next?"

Remus nodded, "he has presented a strategy. He says it would be foolish for Mrs Latvia and Fel to return to their house for another attack could happen anytime, so he consulted Mrs Latvia as well as the others on that. Mrs Latvia has agreed to take her husband into confidence and move with him to Italy for their safety whereas Felicity should go to Magnolia Crescent instead. Since Sirius isn't there for the time being, one of us has to stay with her as a precaution."

"I will stay," James immediately agreed knowing that his friend's safety came first and foremost. He could not bear to let any of his friends get hurt and would willingly lay his life down for them if the need arose.

"Marlene volunteered already but we will ask Fel to decide herself," he remarked, "all we have to do right now is wait for her to gain consciousness."

***