Chapter 26.3 - Silent but Deadly

Turrent covered the Acadian knight's mouth and drove a knife into his throat. Sabin's plan involved a coordinated strike, based on Sakima's signal.

There was nothing to say I couldn't thin out their ranks beforehand.

The poor soul patrolled the edges of the camp, having the misfortune of coming into Turrent's zone of responsibility. He silenced the man before he could scream and alert the camp to their presence.

He dragged the body into the nearest tent, grabbing a paper off the table to clean the blood. He paused. It was a bunch of numbers and lines, like the kind Sakima had given the kidnapper in Juxe.

Troop patterns?

Sakima or Sabin would be able to make out the details, but he understood the gist. The lines converged on the Eternal Empressa of Hruh.

A coordinated attack?

He rolled up the map and stuffed it into his pants. The ground shook and he realized he wasted too much time inside.

He drew on his Path of electricity, his reflexes heightening and giddiness invading his heart. He forced down a smile that crept onto his lips.

It was uncomfortable every time, his emotions out of control and his hands twitchy.

I don't get how people fight like this.

He slid between the tent flaps and put his sword through the throat of the nearest soldier. Confusion spread among the army and Turrent's second stroke caught a woman through her throat.

That dispelled the initial shock.

The warriors formed into stances. He chopped a spear in midflight and split a second one in two.

They will fear me when I'm done.

He sheathed his swords and pulled a couple of throwing knives from his wrist sheaths. He flung the knives at his foes, one stabbing an Acadian knight in the eye and the other piercing a Yuan's chest.

Swords out, he jumped and spun in the air, avoiding a barrage of spear tosses. Clearing all six weapons, he charged the nearest soldier and cleared his head from his body.

The remaining five hesitated, stepping back with Turrent's approach. A young Yuan man, no older than Sabin by Turrent's guess, wilted under his glare and ran.

"We do not run!" another warrior shouted.

If you had any sense, you'd run like the other one.

Leather creaked behind Turrent and he rolled forward. Three of the four warriors sprinted away. He turned and was greeted to two familiar faces: his venom-fingered former friend and his eyepatch-wearing Tsuchinan partner.

"Hebi. Kaizoku."

Hebi clapped his hands. "The great Turrent remembers our names! The man gets out of his blood oath, something a common Tsuchinan like you or I would never be able to. And somehow, despite the fact that we're in the presence of fucking royalty, he remembers our names."

"Fucking royalty," Kaizoku parroted.

Turrent rubbed his shoulder. "No vendettas, Hebi."

He peeked back at the lone Yuan. She did not run, but was not jumping into the fray either.

Not in the hurry to die one expressed a minute ago.

Hebi placed his gloveless hands on his hips. "You hear that? That's why he's special. He always follows the rules. Even when it's my little brother he has to kill."