Chapter 18: Ugar

"Analyze, plan, and execute."

Sabin nodded. Wade's words were sound strategy, but what his mind thought and heart wanted were two different things.

I want to rip him in two.

He was afraid he would have some trouble locating Valice, but he stood in the middle of the village, out in the open. Mina, the former H.E.R. stood next to him, hands aglow his power. There were six others he could see; he didn't put it past Valice to have others hidden away.

Against warriors he was confident, but his training with magic was too new. If Kianna, someone who was trained from birth was unable to repel them alone, he questioned if he could. But he would try.

Sabin crouched just behind a tree, Wade unsheathed and out in front of him.

A reddish glow enveloped the horizon. He needed to decide now: strike quickly, before the benefit of surprise was lost or give himself up for Kianna.

He feared shadowing into the fray. Mina had done something similar to save Valice during their first battle. They would be ready for it.

No subterfuge, then.

If he could trust Valice to hold to his word and spare Kianna, he would hand himself over. He pulled on fire, the familiar anger joining the power. He gritted his teeth and clenched his fists.

One false move and I burn this place to the ground.

He blinked as a figure flashed in his periphery. He rushed forward and the man, held up a hand.

"Turrent!" Sabin whispered. "What are you doing here? You'll get her killed!"

She said that she would die because of me. Not now, it's too soon.

"Focus, Sabin!" Wade said.

Sabin nodded.

Turrent shook his head. "Not just me. Sakima, Alaina and Leena are here as well. What were you thinking rushing here on your own?"

"I was thinking that I don't want her to die." He looked around. "Where are the others?"

"While you were rushing off, Sakima came up with a solid plan. Leena will clear a path and Sakima will rush in to grab Kianna. Alaina has nasty surprise for H.E.R." He shook his head. "I know it's her sister, but I have to say, I didn't know she had it in her. Valice is our responsibility."

"No, he's mine Turrent."

Turrent shrugged.

"Sabin, I know you're out there," Valice scanned the trees. Then he turned around and looked from side to side. "I am a man of my word. Submit yourself to me and Kianna lives."

To use his niece as a bargaining chip is beyond evil.

I will do so many bad things to him.

The outlines rushed towards the group. Sabin gathered fire in his hand and stepped forward. "I'm right here Valice."

Valice smiled. "I knew you'd come to your senses and be the knight that you are." He stepped over a prone body in front of him.

Kianna?

"Just let her go. She's your family!"

Something slithered under his face. "Sacrifices must be made."

Sabin couldn't tell if it was a trick of the light or a harbinger of his power, but it was gross.

Keep him focused on you.