Epilogue: Villains Are Made

"I have it Seito." Takuya crab-walked through the marsh and dropped his rice seeds in a row, making sure they were evenly spaced. Not so far in the past, this work was that of peasants, something that was beneath one of his status. Yet it gave him a sense of contentment and purpose he never thought possible.

It's not like he had options. After the debacle in Sikati, there was no way he could return to Covica. He'd seen the bodies of Hima, Meita, Asako and Hide, so he'd be a convenient scapegoat. Going back to his father in Toro was also out of the question.

So he wandered, completely debasing himself for food and shelter; begging, pleading and engaging in other less savory actions that he refused to think about. It wasn't until he found this small village this called Tsutai, that he finally found some modicum of peace.

"Taya, Taya," a little voice said. Takuya felt him latch onto his leg.

"Hey Norito." Takuya rustled the toddler's black hair. After Ayumi and Seito had taken him in, the little one had taken a shine to him. Takuya loved the little tyke and it was amazing how much he'd grown in the few cycle-days Takuya had been here.

"You get away from Ayumi again?" Seito hiked up his pants before lifting the boy. "Hey stranger."

Takuya glanced up and realized that Seito was not talking to the boy. A broad shouldered man in a hunter green cloak was heading their way. Takuya was immediately suspicious, not everyone was as genuine as he.

"Take the boy home." Takuya sprinted to the home he now shared with Pein. She was a widow and happy to have a man in her home for many reasons. Takuya was simply glad to be needed again. He ducked into the wooden home, lunging under the bed they shared and grabbing the pile of cloth that hid his sword. He unwrapped the thing and sprinted to the door, just in time to Seito's plea.

"Let my son go!"

The stranger held Norito with a knife to the boy's throat. Seito was there, clutching a ruined arm and begging the man not to hurt his son. The other men and women of the village had started to flock, wielding sickles and shovels as if they were weapons.

Takuya assessed the situation. It would be best to close as much distance as possible before the man noticed his presence, but every second would lower Norito's chance of survival especially with the way they were cornering the beggar, so a sprint was just as reasonable. The choice was taken from Takuya as the man's eyes found him.

"Lieutenant," the man said. "I'm here for you."

Something about the man's eyes shook him to the core. He could make a run for it and likely get away, but that would assure Norito's death. That was not an option.

"What do you want from me?" Takuya screamed, holding his sword by its tanned leather sheath. He strode forward, refusing to give in to fear.

"I want you to come with me," the man said, a smile revealing ebony teeth. "I've been following you since Sikati. I know what you did there."

A bounty hunter, then. His life in Tsutai was over. It one came for him, then others would.

"Spare his life and I will come with you willingly."

The man squinted his eyes as if measuring the truth of Takuya's words, then he dropped Norito and motioned for Takuya to come forward. Ayumi was there immediately, scooping up her son.

Norito to his credit did not cry once throughout the whole ordeal. Takuya would at least match his bravery. Takuya approached the man, looking around to the people of Tsutai. Their eyes were filled with fear. Even if he by some chance killed the man, they would kick him out themselves. Even Pein's beautiful face beheld him with dismissal.