Chapter 14: Aftermath

Sabin started at his name.

"This way." Leena walked into the tall grass in the direction of a dilapidated stable, pulling Lake by the reins. She'd given a spiel about hidden lairs and long lost brothers. Sabin had nodded when she suggested the cellar as a safe house for the king. Disa would need to agree and arrangements made, but it seemed like a good plan. At least the part he heard.

A few days had passed since their escape from Castle Acadia. The squelch his sword made as it pierced the soldier's throat echoed in his thoughts. The sight of the man's lifeless eyes had woken him every night so far.

He'd seen the others: Leena, Turrent and Sakima kill that night and they were no worse for it. He'd only killed one man and has unable to shake the guilt.

Sabin dropped from the saddle and followed Leena. Ares nudged him, providing support and feelings of understanding. It helped.

"You sure you're okay?" Leena asked. "You've never been this quiet."

He put on a false smile. "I'm just contemplating our next move."

"Ride with me to the Juxian forest," Sakima said. "Help me save my mother and I will consider joining your Serien band."

Sabin nodded.

Sakima patted him on the back. "Good man!" He lashed his horse inside the stable and walked away whistling a tune.

Leena shook the dust out of her blue hair. "Coming?"

"Shortly," Sabin lied. "I want to talk to Sakima's horse. See if he knows anything."

She shrugged. "Whatever you say."

He just wanted to find something that made what he did okay. Tactics was clear on a lot of things and one particular passage seemed relevant:

"Some days you may put men to death, whether it be by your orders or by your sword. It is never good, always evil, but often it is necessary."

Was it necessary?

"The first is hard for most people."

Sabin turned to the voice. Turrent stood with Midnight's reins in hand.

"Will it get easier?" Sabin asked him.

Turrent shrugged. "I've seen men break after the first kill. Some people aren't made to take lives. You have to find a way to make peace with yourself. Even if you try, sometimes it can't be avoided."

Sabin snorted. "Says the assassin."

"Look pup, I'm not going to coddle you. Odds are you'll have to do it again. You need to decide now if you're willing to do what it takes or if you're a child playing hero."

"Turrent, can we have a moment?"

Kianna's hands were clasped in front of her.

Turrent looked at her and then back to Sabin. "I was just leaving. I'm going in the city to replenish my arsenal. I feel so naked with my knives."

Sabin sighed. He owed her a talk and he wasn't sure how long she'd been there, but she most likely heard everything.

"I..." Sabin whispered.

She put a finger to his lips. "Don't talk, just listen." She took a deep breath. "I'm going to die."

"What?" Sabin asked. "Why?"

"I had a vision in Feral. I'm going to die because of you."

Sabin dropped Ares reins. "I wouldn't harm you! Just because I killed a man doesn't mean I'd hurt you."

"That's not what I mean." She sighed. "I've been more forward than I would like because I wanted to know if you were worth my life. Nothing so far has made me doubt it."

"You aren't afraid of dying."

"Of course I'm afraid!" She hugged herself. "But Alaina is my responsibility. I just wanted to say I will stop now. You've been very clear on your disinterest and I do not want to add to your burden." She nodded and turned to walk away.

Sabin grabbed her hand. "Wait. I never did tell you why I went back. I was angry, very angry. But there's more." He reached into his pouch and handed the flowered cloth to her.

"What is this?"

"It's the piece of a Partnership dress, from the woman I thought I would Partner. She gave it to me as a promise to come back."

"What was her name?"

"Kaita," Sabin began. "This was the only thing I have left of her." He paused for a moment. "For once I gave into what I wanted, not what was right and a man died. That makes me a murderer."

"I believe in you," she said. "Whatever happened couldn't have been avoided."

"He didn't have to die!"

"He could have killed you!" she screamed. Tears streamed down her face. "There are people who would be devastated if you died."

Sabin cupped her face in his hands. "Kaita doesn't deserve this."

"Stop thinking of others and think of what you want for once."

"It will hurt someone I care for."

"Then deal with the consequences."

She was beautiful and completely honest with him. He found his lips moving towards her of their own accord.

"Are you sure?" Kianna asked.

Sabin shook his head. "Not at all."

He pulled her close and kissed her.