Chapter 19: Into the Depths

Why am I the only one that needs this?

Sakima folded his arms and ground his teeth. He'd watched as the four others fought the ugar, powerless to help them. Four commoners without an ounce of noble blood wielded the power of the gods without help. Yet Sakima, the Hidenka of Acadia and owner of the land upon which they stood, could do no more than summon a few shards of gravel in his hand. His lack of belief shouldn't have mattered.

The assassin and thief don't seem particularly pious.

"Wilam is dead," Sabin said to the H.E.R. Her hands shook and she paced along the length of her kitchen. Sakima hadn't paid much attention to his study of the Rianna tribes, much to his tutor's chagrin. So he didn't quite understand the politics between the Feral and Echu. Yet one thing was clear; something had gone terribly wrong and she meant to fix it.

She clinched her fists. "I'll have to go to Echu right away. I'll gather my sisters and we will undo whatever evil has been done." She jumped at Kianna's touch.

Kianna's hand sat upon the H.E.R.'s shoulder. "Mother, you cannot blame yourself."

"I do not," she said. "But after this, the Punishment of Rianna will end."

"I'll go with you," Sabin volunteered, hand to his chest

"Your help is not needed!" Lila snapped. She shook her head. "I am sorry. We women of Feral aren't useless. We will take care of this." She pointed to Sakima and Turrent. "You need to take care of them."

Rock shards entered his hand, unbidden.

I am your sovereign! I do not need help!

"Just Sakima. Things have changed."

At least when it was me and the assassin I was not alone. Now, I'm like those invalids the priests care for. I'm 'blessed'.

Turrent let a spark play along his fingers.

Show off.

"How long have you known?" Sakima asked.

He shrugged. "Never show your full hand to an enemy. Use the strength of six, so that when more is needed, ten is available."

"That's from Tactics," Sabin said.

Turrent nodded. "I know, I read. Sometimes."

"Kianna, I trust you to handle the ceremony," Lila said. "Alaina is gathering the herb and bowl from the Church. Leena, would you like to come with us?"

Leena stood up. "Sure. It's beats staying around here and a possible Serien explosion."

Lila nodded to others and they left Lila's cottage.

I don't need her anyway.

Sabin nodded. "We should be able to handle you if something goes wrong."

"Stop talking about me as if I am not here!" Sakima yelled.

Sabin held up his hands.

"Don't apologize! Let's just get this done and find the Guan."

"Strip," Kianna said.

"Excuse me?" Sakima asked.

"Down to your undergarments. More if you're comfortable."

"That's my cue to leave," Turrent said. He walked to the door. "I'll be outside, Sabin. Alert me when you are ready to switch."

Sakima jabbed his finger at Sabin. "Do not take my presence as an acquiesce to the current leadership structure. I am the Hidenka. I am the one who orders people around."