Chapter 13.3: Death of a Knight

"Is that all you have," Sabin said, throwing the club to the ground. Their four would-be ambushers lay on the ground, writhing in pain. Ares and Lake were well in hand, but Sabin's anger wasn't satiated.

"You can take the horses back to camp if you want." Sabin walked to the front door of the White Horse Inn. There were likely more knights inside, which meant more opportunity to inflict pain.

Kianna dashed in front of him and cupped his face in her hands. "I know you're angry, but..."

Sabin slapped her hands away. "I'm going in. There's something in my room I need."

"Nothing that can't be replaced with that Merchant's Promise you hold."

"Why are you still here?"

Kianna recoiled. "I'm here because I care."

"Are you deaf? I said you can go."

"Why would you risk your life? What are you going to do if I leave you? Attack everyone in the building?"

Yes. They deserve every bit of pain and misery I can give them.

"It's none of your concern," he said finally. "And hurting men without killing them is much harder than just killing them. Maybe I'll drop this Knight's Code as its bullshit anyway."

"You've never killed a man in your life. A fact you're very proud of."

Sabin gripped Wade's hilt. "Tonight's just as good as any to start."

Kianna gasped. "You don't mean that."

He was consumed by his anger. He knew it. He just didn't care.

Her shoulders sagged. "I'll help you."

Sabin nodded his approval and approached the door.

Kianna placed a hand on his naked chest. "Wait." She pointed around the back of the inn. "One more is on the way."

Sabin picked up the club and took off towards the back of the wall, leaning waiting on the man to come around.

The man rounded the corner. "Hey, Kem. I don't suppose they were stupid...oof."

Sabin's club met the back of his head.

"That's the outside guards."

Now I get kick in the door and announce my presence.

She touched his chest again and her hand lingered this time. "Stop. Please."

The sadness in her voice stopped his march.

Were those tears?

"I can push you up to that window," she said. "It will cost me levitation for a while."

The thought of Kaita's cloth in his hand calmed him a bit more, but the anger still lingered. "What are you waiting on?"

She folded her arms. "I want your word that we will talk after."

"Fine," Sabin spat. "After."

Kianna lifted one finger to her glowing lips. "The people downstairs will not hear anything at all from the top floor. Now, don't let the loss of solid ground scare you, you'll be fine."

Kianna pushed Sabin to his window. He lifted it and slid inside.

The look of shock and awe on the face of the soldier sitting on Sabin's bed was well worth whatever it took from Kianna. He was in a set of common leggings and a tunic, likely trying to blend in as a commoner instead of the knight Sabin knew he had to be.

He stood up and shouted. "Men!"

Sabin unsheathed Wade. "It's just you and me."

The man came fast at Sabin, but he was faster and blocked his slash with ease. He kicked the soldier in the sternum, sending him to the ground. The man jumped up and slashed again, but Sabin ducked and headbutted him.

The man teetered and Sabin blasted him with a spinning elbow. This time, he did not return to his feet.

"Mercy is the currency of the just," Wade said.

"Shut up," Sabin projected.

Sabin put the tip of Wade on the knight's throat. "You've lost. Stay still and I will grab my things and go."

"Still a boy." The knight laced his fingers around his sword hilt and made a go for Sabin's belly.

Sabin pushed Wade through his throat.

The man's blade fell to the ground. Wade followed immediately. Sabin stood there for a moment, frozen. He had just killed a man. He thought it was what he wanted, but the act caused him to retch on the spot, spilling the contents of his stomach over the floor. His stomach still heaved after it was empty. His anger was spent, replaced with something that felt hollow and wrong.

"Sabin!"

Drawn from his confusion, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, picking up Wade and cleaning the blood on the bedding. He confirmed the contents of his pack before flinging it on his back and heading towards the window.

"Sabin," Kianna's voice came again. "Do you have your things?"

Sabin looked down at her wordless.

"I think I've thought of something to get you down. You see, some of these Talents aren't my own, they come from my Sisters and the Grace of Rianna, and so I have to figure out how to use what they've given me. Stand to the side."

Sabin obliged and after a few seconds, something shot through the window and through the roof.

"Climb down!"

Taking his cue, Sabin looked at the sturdy, thin tree, that didn't exist moments ago, shaking his head in amazement. Knowing that he didn't have time, he used it slide down.

"We need to go now," Kianna said, pulling Sabin by the arm.

Sabin followed quietly.