Chapter 20: Mirror

"You know you'll never be Heika if your father finds out," Hatsuto said.

They lay in bed, snuggling under the sheets as Hatsuto stroked his hair. He remembered this moment, their first night together, when Sakima admitted to himself that he did not care for the company of women. He was afraid that his father would find out and he'd lose his status as heir. His heart ached to be with him again.

Wait, I'm with him now. What am I thinking?

"Why does matter that I am friendly?" Sakima nuzzled his naked chest. "I could sire an heir without thought of the mother. I have proven myself in the Acadian Junior Tournament as a warrior. He should accept me as I am, not as he wants me to be."

"You know he won't. And I do not want to be the reason you lose the throne."

Tears streamed down his cheeks. "I am the oldest male heir and the kingdom is my birthright."

"Your sister the Denka is older. A case could and would be made for Misaki's ascension."

"I won't deny you."

"Don't be a fool! You are the right person to lead the kingdom. Do not show weakness, ever my love. Do not...."

**********

Sakima's eyes snapped open.

I swear I was just with Hatsuto.

No that's foolish. I am in the Kuwa Forest. I am on a hunt.

Cherry blossoms waved in the wind and the delicate scent on the edge of his nose. He was home, in hunting grounds near Covica. The weight of his scale armor was a welcome feeling as was the cloak slashed with green and white. His katana was tied to his waist and a short dagger lay beside it.

Where is my retainer with the bow?

In front of him, his retinue fenced in a bear. They used spears to keep it contained, ready for him to deliver the killing blow.

No hunts for superficial honor!

Anger bubbled in his chest. He'd been promised that they would end these hunts. They were evil.

Those are not my thoughts.

As an arrow took the bear in the arm, he remembered this was not his hunt. It was one he'd went on with his grandfather, Lord Eruis. His father, the KoHeika had been infuriated when Sakima let word of it slip and his father and grandfather had nearly come to blows. If not for his mother's intervention there might have been a civil war.

I can stop it. That would make my father proud.

His gripped his hilt he started forward.

A sudden impact drove the wind from his lungs and knocked him to his back. He clutched his chest and he looked around. There was nothing there.

A man appeared just in front of him. He had broad shoulders, thick arms and a face that looked alarmingly like his own.

Sakima pushed himself to his feet and growled. This was the normal son his father wanted.

"I can't be you!" Sakima pulled his katana and formed into mouse stance, both hands on the hilt and weight spread evenly on the balls of his feet. It maximized speed and agility to take on a stronger opponent.

His more muscular mirror hefted a double-bladed great axe. Sakima had always been more tactical than quick, and Mirror didn't look as though he would go down easily.

His eyes drifted back towards the father bear. The wails of agony shook him. He'd been so young and wanted to impress his grandfather. He didn't know why he father had felt so betrayed.