NSP 2: The Farmer of Tsutai

Seito led his carriage along the dirt road, relishing the silence. His wife had given birth to their first child, a baby boy named Norito and while he loved the child dearly, the incessant whining was driving him mad.

"Yep, just me and my thoughts." he said, rubbing his stubble and enjoying the clarity of the Eruis skyline. With Parent Cycle ending, the days grew shorter and the weather cooler.

Cold Cycle will be upon us soon.

He huddled under his thick wool cloak, struggling to keep warm. This was likely the last crop delivery Tsutai would have to make this year. Since it was much too small to have a collector, someone had to deliver the village's share of the crops to Lord Eruis. He'd happily volunteered.

Not that I'd ever let Ayumi know.

The sweet smell of the maple trees reminded him of his hunger, but he pushed on. He wanted to get to the main road and Eruis's capital by sundown. The patrols kept most organized banditry suppressed, but his carriage would make for easy prey.

I've done this run so often without so much as the hint of danger, why do I worry now?

Part of him knew it was related to Norito's birth, but before he could complete his thought there was a sharp dip and a snap. His carriage wobbled.

"Easy there." He pulled on the reins until his horse stopped. Then he dismounted the carriage and patted the brown mare's head gently. "It'll be alright, girl."

He gave her a handful of oats before turning to the carriage. The wheel had caught in a gap in the road and snapped the axle.

"Schewa's balls."

The parts for such an occasion rested right next to the crops, but this all but secured that he'd be sleeping outside tonight. It would take some time to make the repairs.

He shook his head and went to work.

*******

Seito gazed at the sky from atop the carriage. The reddish glow of the setting sun bathed the road. He'd make no more meaningful progress, so he'd sleep here and leave at first light.

It is cold, but I'll still get beautiful, wonderful, uninterrupted...

A loud explosion startled him. He stood up, wondering if he should cut bait and run. The noise was far enough away that he didn't feel in any danger. He squinted.

Is that a fire?

Thunder rumbled and rain fell from the sky, quenching the fire. It was localized, however, staying just above the fire.

Some nobleman invention?

He shrugged. Everything seemed to be working out and the weather moved away.

Maybe I should just-

Another explosion rang this one louder than the first. Seito closed his eyes, clasped his hands over his ears and waited for it to pass.

This is it. I knew my luck was running out. I'm sorry for being selfish Ayumi and Norito.

The vibration ceased and he opened his eyes. He blinked at the sight and rubbed his eyes.

I could swear that hill was not there before. How'd I miss it?

His eyes focused to the low light. Fire, thunderstorms, and random ridges of earth sprouted in the distance. A ridge collapsed on its side, like the wind itself desired it.

"It's like the elements are having a pissing contest."

His mind went to tale of the Seriens his parents taught him. They were Schewa's representatives to humanity and wielders of the elements. He was sure it was nonsense. Yet as the scene unfolded, he questioned if it wasn't.

I should be more pious.

As luck had it, the contest raged all evening. He removed the carriage straps from his horse and climbed into the saddle, just in case he needed to flee.

He sighed.

One thing is certain. Same as always, I'm not getting any sleep tonight.