Chapter 11: Weakness

Leena's head throbbed and her throat felt like tree bark. She tried to sit up, but her muscles resisted the sudden movement. She recalled Eastland moving to stab her brother, but after that it was misty. The room smelled of stale air and spoiled meat.

What if I am in a prison?

Her heart thudded in her chest. She closed her eyes and counted by fives, getting ahold of her body at three hundred. She looked up to see Turrent standing in front of Disa, hands on his hips. The brown haired woman waved her hands in Leena's direction, but she kept her voice low. Their relaxed manner meant she was safe.

Did Turrent shoot Eastland?

Crossbows were not the most accurate and if he missed, it would have hit her brother in the chest.

Terrick!

Terrick lay in the bed next to her. A nasty purple bruise climbed the side of his face. His prone form showed more bandage than skin. The worst part was she couldn't tell if his chest rose and fell.

I have to know.

Her hand shook as she reached out. Equal parts hope and dread filled her chest. For it to end now and in this way would be too much to bear.

She was less than a fingertip's distance away when a hand caressed her shoulder.

She jumped, so wrapped up in the moment that she hadn't heard Turrent approach. His black eyes were full of pity. His lips were drawn and cheeks low. Leena had never seen him so serious. It unnerved her.

Turrent waited until her eyes met his before speaking at barely a whisper. "I'm sorry to tell you this, but your brother is dead."

Leena paled and fell forward on Turrent's shoulder. Wetness she did not know she had left slid down her face and her chest felt empty.

What was all of this for?

"Stop playing with the poor girl," she heard Disa remark. "She's been through enough."

Leena growled and struck Turrent as hard as she could in the stomach. Her arm flared in pain from the sudden act, but Turrent caught the worst. He dropped to one knee, clutching his stomach. Even so, he smirked.

"You pile of horse dung!"

Turrent held up his hand.

She dropped to the floor with every intention of continuing her assault, but she lost her balance.

Turrent sprung forward and caught her in his arms. "Not too much too soon." He lifted her in a bridal carry and returned her to the bed.

As soon as the room stopped spinning, she aimed for his face, the strike hitting his shoulder instead.

Turrent smirked again. "Sorry, I couldn't resist."

Leena glared at him. "You're such a jerk."

"A jerk that saved your life." He handed her a mug of water. "Drink this."

She drained the contents and the weakness in her body subsided. "Who did this to Terrick?"

"You."

Leena turned her head, having forgotten Disa was in the room.

"Me?"

Disa furrowed her brow. "The storm you created that wiped out the Falcons got him too."

"What in Gaia's tits are you talking about?"

Turrent cleared his throat. "You did something the fishermen of Durai call a maelstrom. It's a vortex of water spinning with such force that nothing, man, ship or sea creature, is safe from its wrath."