Chapter 32: The King and I

The snow crunched under Hunter and Midnight's hooves and Sakima and Turrent traveled to Covica. They were still more than a cycle-day away from the Acadian capital as it took time to hear from Sakima's 'backup', not to mention that the trip from Sikati to Covica was a long one.

They'd need to take care of things in Covica fast to make it to the Guan invasion site.

They made their way through the Eruis province, surrounded by bald trees lightly dusted with snow. It was a necessary detour to meet with Sakima's team and gather some intelligence on Lord Eruis' movements in the last few cycles. The information further confirmed Sakima's suspicions and steeled his heart towards the necessary conclusion. They also retrieved his father the king, who rode alongside the two of them on a horse of his own.

"You think your mercenaries will make it in time?" Turrent asked. His hood was raised on his green and gold cloak. A few strands of blonde hair leaked out.

"I can only hope," Sakima said. "We have to think of more than Sabin. There are countries at stake."

Turrent nodded.

"I am happy that you have found true friends you can depend on," King Fenra said, beaming at Sakima. The king was in much better health now and Sakima could see the father that he missed all of those cycles. If they could somehow sneak inside Covica and get to his grandfather the imposter, Sakima was sure he could get his father back on the throne.

The King had the ruin the fine atmosphere with his next comment.

"Edward, maybe you can introduce my son to one of those Durain noblewomen of whom you're acquainted," He laughed. "Sakima has never been interested in any Acadians I send his way."

Sakima made eye contact with Turrent and shook his head. Despite the fearlessness that came when he drew on his Path of Earth, he was still afraid of his father. Sakima was certain King Fenra would disown him if he knew of his friendliness.

So he swore him to secrecy. Turrent, however, could or would not resist behaving in his typical incensing manner.

Turrent smiled. "Yes, I could try. Sakima, you should tell him about the time you and I had with those Yuans in Sikati."

Sakima fumed, but produced a fake smile he hoped would convince his father. "I do not like to boast about my conquests."

"Is that what I've been doing wrong all of these years?" Fenra asked. "I guess after we put this throne-stealing nonsense to rest, I will make an honest deal with King Yua. He would love to have a half-Yuan king on the throne of Acadia. I am not enamored with the idea of dirtying our blood with those savages, but I am happy with the thought of grandchildren."

"You will have-." Sakima sneezed. "You will have them from Misaki. It does not have to be me."

"You are twenty-three and Misaki is twenty-four. She's spent years trying and has proven effectively barren and useless. Men, however, are fertile right until death. You can wait until you're old and frail like I am and still keep the Acadia line going." Fenra leaned over to Sakima as if confiding a secret. "I would like that to happen sooner than later."

"Yes, father," Sakima said.

The familiar irritation of repressing his thoughts raged on the inside. Sakima could see himself lashing out at the world if this wasn't resolved. Maybe if he saw Hatsuto soon, his lover could take the edge off as he always did and return his focus to the throne.

"I will need to see Major Hatsuto upon our arrival," Sakima blurted. "He can update us on the political and military state of Covica, so we can plan our attack on the imposter."

"Yes, Major Hatsuto," Fenra said. His rubbed his grey-flecked beard, before looking again to Turrent. "He was my son's only friend before he met you and the other Seriens, Edward. Gave my son everything he had and took nothing in return."

"I'm sure he did give him everything." Turrent gave Sakima a sidelong glance.

Sakima pulled the hood of his cloak tighter.

Did Turrent have to be an ass about everything?

The voice in his mind told him to just get it over with, but he couldn't. Not when they needed his help.

Sakima took a deep breath and sighed.

This is going to be a long trip.