Chapter 12.1: Good Fortune

"What the crap was that?"

Disa's brown eyes locked onto Leena. Turrent stood between the two, hands warding off Disa.

"That was me doing what was necessary," Leena said. "No amount of money was worth that slime's life."

Did I just talk down money?

Disa pushed Turrent. "You're not off the hook peacekeeper. You gave her the knife."

Turrent folded his arms. "It was her decision to make."

She sighed. "I can't decide whether to strangle you or pat you on the back."

Leena understood the woman's frustration. Out of a job and thanks to Leena out of a payday too. All because Leena couldn't steel her emotions.

I have to make things right.

She put her hands on her hips. "Look, I won't apologize, but I can make this right. Come with me to Seris."

Disa frowned and glanced sidelong at Turrent.

Leena's eyes darted back and forth. "What is it?"

She sniffed. "We are in Seris. A better question is why would we needed to go there?"

"In Seris?" Leena asked.

"Follow me."

Leena nodded and trailed Disa. The wooden stairs creaked with step and Leena made sure Disa was well clear before she followed. At the top of the stairs the door tilted at an angle and sunlight peeked through the holes.

A cellar?

When Disa pushed it open, the familiar stench of Seris assaulted her nose.

This is genius.

The idea of literally going underground outside the city was clever. At worst, someone would take them for squatters, but more likely than not, no one would notice.

Leena looked around, noting a well-trampled path that cut through the sea of green grass. "Where is Midnight?"

Turrent jerked his head in the direction of an old stable, the roof partially caved in. It had one door hanging off the hinges, blending with the overrun nature of the enclave. Inside three horses stood enjoying their feed, unaffected by the absurd nature of their lodgings.

"Midnight is already packed for the trip." Turrent stroked the courser's neck. "Why do you need him?"

I can't believe I'm doing this.

Leena dug into the horse's leather saddle bags and pulled out her three coin purses. It was the larger reason that she had Turrent' leave him in Seris.

She dropped every one into Disa's hand. The woman's arms dropped with each bag.

She jingled the purses. "This has to be what? Ten thousand zen?"

"Ten thousand, eight hundred and forty-seven."

Disa raised an eyebrow.

Leena shrugged. "I'm good with numbers."

"This is too much," Disa said. "You were right. Shannon isn't worth a copper."

She tapped Disa on the shoulder. "You are future-sister."

Disa smiled. "I'm not going to say no. Are you sure?"

Leena stared at her life's savings.

No, of course I'm not sure.

"Yes, I'm sure, but please don't ask me that again."

"This will take care of Terrick and I for some time. Would you like to say goodbye?"