Chapter 13.2: Knight's Code

Sabin drew Wade and dashed into the fray. A knight met him katana to katana, while a second attacked his flank. He pivoted and turned aside the second strike with his sheath, his years of training with Aegis taking over.

They attacked in tandem, each lunge protected by the other's defensive posture. This was a Knight of Acadia; this was what he trained his entire life to be. Yet as they attacked, every memory of running around, pretending to fight bandits and saving damsels felt more and more like a mockery.

Sweat dripped from Sabin's brow as he fought off their advance. Drawing into a lighter stance, he dodged one knight's lunge. Anticipating the parry from the second, he pushed the man's blade aside and rammed his shoulder into the knight's chest. His shoulder hurt from the impact with banded steel. He swept under the knight's leg with the sheath. He lost his balance and sword in the process.

Then Sabin shadowed behind the remaining knight, his boot echoing as connected in the small of the man's back, knocking him forward and sending the man tripping over his partner. They collapsed into a pile of curses and flailing limbs.

One got detangled and scrambled for his sword, so Sabin put Wade through the meat of his hand. The soldier screamed.

He put the tip of Wade on his throat. "Yield."

Then man nodded. "I yield."

Sabin turned his attention back to the second, who scrambled to his feet. The man's overhand slash was hurried and off balance. Sabin glided to his left, before cracking him across the back of his skull with the flat of Wade. He collapsed and moaned.

Turrent engaged with one of the other knights and a couple of bodies lie motionless on the ground. Out the corner of his eye, Kianna and Alaina glowed. He couldn't tell how they were supporting the others, but with most of the knights down something would give soon.

The other knight slashed at Leena, her flank wide open. She leaned back at a sharp angle and her body rippled as the sword passed over.

That's impossible.

When the sword cleared, she sprung up and buried her dagger under the man's helm.

So much death.

He moved to engage with Cecil, who was giving Sakima all he could handle.

Sakima waved him away. "I will handle this, alone!"

Cecil and Sakima's swords met and there was a screech of metal as they glided until the two of them were eye to eye. Sakima pushed the man's sword down before blasting him in the face with his mailed fist. The giant sword fell from Cecil's hand and Sakima continued his onslaught, smashing his fist into Cecil's face plate over and over again. When Sakima relented, Cecil wobbled in place, his armor the only thing keeping him from falling.

Why does it have to be this way?

Sabin jerked and a warm liquid dripped down his back. His mind didn't register what happened until someone spoke.

"That was my sword hand boy."

I've been stabbed.

It was surreal. He expected pain, yet he felt nothing but rage.

The knight who yielded had taken his belt knife and driven it into Sabin's back. Turrent was on the knight quickly and a spray of blood hit the back of Sabin's neck.

Was the blood that man's, mine or both?

Then the pain hit. He held his tongue by force of will, wanting to scream to the high heavens.

"Never turn your back to an enemy!" Turrent shouted. Then he grabbed his side and winced, blood leaking through his fingers.

Alaina ran to Turrent, but he waved her away. "Worry abou the fool boy."

Sabin wanted to retort that he was no fool and the man had yielded. That a Knight of Acadia would never stoop to anything so low. However, given that was exactly what happened, he said nothing.

He was angry at himself for believing in the lie.

What was it that everyone called him? Naive?

A fire welled up in him. It was always there. Something he suppressed. He felt the knife slide out of his back and clang against the hard ground.

"Sabin?" Kianna asked. She touched his shoulder and jerked her hand away.

"What was that?" Leena asked.

"He's rejecting me. But the wound is closing on its own."

His shoulder no longer hurt but he felt incredibly hot. He ripped off his shirt and watched as it turned into kindling. Sweat poured from his face and he was incredibly hungry.

And incredibly pissed.

He looked around for something, anything to vent his anger on, but it seemed as though Turrent had killed the last one.

Sakima sheathed his sword. "Sabin is fine. However, my father is not. Leena, I will trust you with my father's well-being and I will get a set of horses from the royal stable. Hopefully word hasn't got out that I am a fugitive, though having the KoHeika at my side would give things away."

Leena nodded. "It would be best for the rest of us to get out as soon as possible. When the others are well outside the city, I will make my way back to watch for you. The others will wait with the king and keep him safe."

"I'm not leaving," Sabin spat.

All eyes went to him.

"We have to leave now. Ares and Lake will survive." Leena touched Sabin on the arm.

Sabin jerked his arm away. "I'm going to the inn to get them and my stuff."

Turrent frowned. "That's exactly what they'll expect. I'm sure there is a regiment of knights waiting there in case you're willing to do something so stupid. I won't be able to help you this time."

Sabin clenched his fists. "I did not ask for your help. If anyone wants to stop me, they're welcome to try."

No one said a word.

Leena nodded. "It might be for the best. Turrent and I will get the king to safety." She turned to Alaina and Kianna. "Someone will go with Sakima to get the horses and the other will go with Sabin to get whatever he needs."

"I will go with Sakima," Alaina volunteered.

Kianna grabbed Alaina by the shoulders and turned her body towards her. "This is not a game."

"I know," Alaina said seriously.

"What will you do if there is trouble?"

"I am the Serien of Wind, sister." The wind picked up and tossed Alaina's brown and white hair. "I will find a way to resolve things without bloodshed if it is necessary."

"And if blood needs to be shed," Sakima said. "I will be there. It is likely that the guards are looking for the pair of you. It would be better for the two of you to split up."

Kianna grabbed Sakima by his collar. "If one hair on my sister's head is missing, I swear to you by Rianna that enthralled guards will be the last of your worries." Smiling after those words, she started towards the inn. "Sabin? Are you coming?"

Sabin smiled as Kianna led him towards the inn. He knew there would be scouts on the lookout for their return. He counted on it, because he really needed to hurt someone.