Part 3: The Volleyball Club

I walked into the volleyball gym, and saw Tobio practicing. He paid no mind to me when I entered the gym, the most acknowledgement I got from him was a quick glance. Tobio had a killer jump serve, something that I never have been able to do, nor will I ever be able to do. I sighed as I leaned against the wall and slid down until I hit the floor. I sat there for a while until I heard the door open, and somebody walked in. One of the people who I least expected to see here appeared, the ginger from the finals last school year. 

"G-gah! It's you!" The ginger yelled, while Tobio just stood there confused.

"Sorry, do I know you?" Tobio said, rather bluntly. I felt the second hand pain from the ginger kid, as I just continued to sit there. 

Until the ginger kid turned to me. "Wait! I remember you too! You were that one kid on the bench from Kitagawa Daiichi. Oh! And you also had those really amazing sets in the finals! I can't believe that they had you benched until the final game, and I also can't believe that your teammates didn't even try to hit your sets, they were so good!" 

My eyes widened at the ginger's statement, and so did Tobio's. "Sorry, you must have gotten the wrong person, I'm terrible at playing volleyball, and plus Tobio is way better than me..." 

"What! No way! You're Y/N Kageyama, right?? I saw a bunch of clips of you setting online, and they were amazing! You should totally set for me! Plus, your sets seemed really easy to hit, and while Kageyama's were good yours were way better!" The ginger continued to shout.

"Geez, if you're gonna yell so much about how good you claim that I am, you might as well tell me your name..." I mumbled, though the kid seemed to hear me.

"Oh! I'm Shoyo Hinata!" 

I glanced over to Tobio only to seem him absolutely fuming with anger. I suddenly felt that same unsettling feeling that I always feel whenever Tobio is angry at me. I sighed, before I began speaking to Hinata again. "If you want a good setter, then you want Tobio. Not me. And that's obvious if you've seen him play at all..." 

I then suddenly noticed a few people walking into the gym. One of these people was a boy with a shaved head, it made him seem somewhat like a delinquent, and his demeanor just affirmed that thought even more. "WELL WELL WELL, WHAT DO WE GOT HERE?" The bald kid yelled. 

"Ah, you all must be the new first year who signed up. It's great to get to meet you. I'm Sawamura Daichi, the captain of the Karasuno volleyball club." The captain went up to Tobio, as well as the other two people who were with him. 

"You're Tobio Kageyama, right? I'm surprised that you're here, but we're happy to have such a great setter wanting to join the team. But look out, because I'm currently the main setter for our team so you'll have to fight me for the spot." The gray haired boy laughed a bit. "I'm Koshi Sugawara by the way, the vice captain of the team, pleasure to meet you."

"And I'm Ryunosuka Tanaka, pleasure to meet you newbie, you'll have to work pretty hard if you think you can be the setter here, we don't let any people who don't try onto our starting line up." 

The few of them talked to each other for a little while, not seeming to notice Hinata or I. That was until Hinata shouted. "Hello?! I'm here too you know! And so is he! The two of us have been here the entire time!" Hinata pointed towards me when he said that, drawing too much attention to much attention my way. 

They all looked over towards both Hinata and I, and I felt myself begin to panic. Oh god why are they all looking at me, they probably think I'm a loser already... "You two of the other applicants for the team, it's nice to meet you." Daichi smiled in our direction. 

"Hey there shorty! Lemme guess you're a... libero, right?" Tanaka said to Hinata.

"Nope! I'm a spiker! I wanna become the ace of the team!" Hinata practically shouted.

"Well that's pretty shocking considering your height, what about you (h/c) kid?" Tanaka then looked over to me.

"Setter..." I mumbled quietly.

"What was that? I couldn't hear you." Sugawara spoke up.

"I said I'm a setter..." I kept on getting more quiet towards the end of my statement, while I did prefer to play as a setter I couldn't help but think about how I was one of the worst setters ever when I said the word.

"That's great, we have a bunch of setters now." Daichi laughed. "By the way, what are your names, I didn't happen to catch them."

"I'm Shoyo Hinata!" 

"I-I'm Y/N Kageyama, you all can just call me Y/N though, and just refer to Tobio as Kageyama. It's just less confusing that way." 

"Oh? So you and this Kageyama kid are related? You guys twins or something?" Tanaka questioned, and I softly nodded in return. 

"I've seen some clips of your sets from the finals last year, you're an amazing setter, Y/N! I'll definitely have some trouble staying above both of you Kageyamas." Sugawara laughed. Once Sugawara said those word I felt something... weird, but not bad. In all honesty it actually felt kind of nice. I think this feeling was brought on by Sugawara praising me, something which hadn't happened in a very long time. 

The only time which I can remember being praised was when Oikawa used to coach me during break when I was in my first year at Kitagawa Daiichi. Thinking back on it that was when I used to enjoy volleyball, when people were actually nice to me during it I had a lot of fun. Once Oikawa and Iwaizumi and all of my other upperclassmen left, everyone hated me so much that I couldn't bear it. They all made it so that volleyball was no longer fun, and I haven't ever been able to enjoy volleyball since then. Maybe these people will help me enjoy volleyball again, but once they leave Tobio will probably go back to being mean to me, along with the rest of the people on the team...

When I looked up I noticed that something was going on, I had zoned out for a while so now I was standing with Daichi, Sugawara, and Tanaka. Hinata was in front of me on the court, and Tobio was on the other side of the net, and he looked like he was about to serve. My eyes widened once I noticed that Hinata planned to receive the ball, so I moved slightly more out of the way so that I wouldn't get hit by the ball when Hinata would most likely fail to receive Tobio's serve. 

When Tobio went to serve, and Hinata planned to receive it, it did not go as planned. Instead of receiving the volleyball, Hinata dodged it. Hinata yelled something about 'one more time' and so Tobio was going to serve again. But, before this happened, the vice principal walked into the gym, and the other members of the club said some things which I couldn't be bothered to pay attention to. 

Tobio served towards Hinata once again, and Hinata was able to at least touch the ball this time, but it did not go as planned. The ball ricocheted off of Hinata's arm, and it hit the vice principal right in the face, knocking off his wig, which then landed on Daichi. 

Word count: 1301