Part 15: Smile

The next morning I woke up to Tsukishima looking at me. Once he noticed that I was awake he quickly averted his eyes from me. I saw a slight blush form on his face, and I felt a blush form on mine as well. 

"S-sorry, you just look really cute when your asleep." Tsukishima blurted out, I felt my face get really hot. 

"You know, that actually sounds pretty creepy." I laughed, and saw Tsukishima seemingly get embarrassed. 

"Sh-shut up." Tsukishima was embarrassed. He stood up and grabbed his uniform. "You should probably get your uniform and stuff on, we have to head to school soon." Tsukishima walked to the bathroom to change, leaving me to change in his bedroom. 

I looked down to see that I was only wearing my boxers and one of Tsukishima's sweaters, which was way too big for me. It had a cute little dinosaur design on it and the rest of the sweater was a light yellow color. Who would have thought that Tsukishima had such adorable sweaters? I had completely forgotten that I had borrowed some of his clothes, but to say the least it was extremely comfortable. 

I felt a small smile form on my face as I grabbed my slightly dirty uniform and began changing into that. I wouldn't mind stealing Tsukishima's clothes more often. I let out a small giggle. I hadn't felt this happy... well, ever. It almost felt surreal, it was almost weird to feel this happy. But it was also really nice. 

I was away from my problems, if only for a little while. And even if I was in a room alone, I didn't feel alone. I felt like Tsukishima was someone I could trust, someone who I could lean on, and someone who I genuinely wanted to be with all the time. 

By now I had finished changing, but these thoughts still ran through my mind. I wanted to be with Tsukishima all the time, he made me feel so happy whenever I was around him. Even if he was a salty jerk sometimes, I still loved every part of him.  

Everything about it seemed cheesy and cliché to me, especially since these thoughts were almost the exact same as all of the romance books I read. I mean, all of those romance books were stupid and it didn't make sense as to why the main character didn't confess, but in my situation there were plenty of good reasons... right?

I walked out to the kitchen and saw that Tsukishima's mom was making breakfast. At first, I was kind of confused, neither of my parents had ever done that for me or for Tobio at that. Most of the time I would end up having to make breakfast for myself, but more often than not I wouldn't have time to make breakfast. I normally didn't eat much each day, but I ate enough to get by. 

Tsukishima was sitting at the table eating his breakfast, and his mother started preparing a plate for me too. She looked up and noticed me, and she gave a soft smile. "Good morning, Y/N. Did you sleep well?" 

I nodded. "I did, thank you so much for letting me stay the night." 

"Of course! It was no trouble at all, if you ever need a place to stay then don't feel hesitate to come stay the night here." She smiled, and grabbed the small plate of food next to her. "Here, I made breakfast. Hopefully this is all food that you like." 

"Y-yes, thank you so much, you really didn't have to." Tsukishima's mom was extremely nice, and most definitely nicer than Tsukishima himself. 

I took the plate from her and sat down next to Tsukishima. The two of us ate in a comfortable silence, before we grabbed our stuff and started walking to school together. 

The walk was pleasant, and once we got to school I was in a surprisingly good mood. Throughout the morning practice, I noticed that Tobio hadn't shown up. It wasn't like him to miss practice for anything, but if he didn't show up then it wasn't exactly my problem, right?

Practice went by pretty smoothly, and it turned out that we were going to have the practice match with Nekoma soon. I was excited but more nervous than excited. 

After practice I went to class, and I was still in a good mood. Nothing bad had happened throughout my morning classes, if anything people were actually nicer to me. I guess since I was happier other people found it easier to approach me. 

Everyone was extremely nice to me, and a lot of them had apparently been too scared to try and talk to me before. So many people were talking to me, and so many of them were being nice to me, it all left me with a huge smile on my face. 

I sat on the roof with Tsukishima and Yamaguchi, and the three of us just talked. We usually would sit together, but today we spoke a lot more than we usually did. I was in such a good mood, and I found it so much easier to get my voice out of my mouth. I ended up spending the entire school day with a stupid smile on my face. 

Of course, good things can never truly last, or at least they never last for me. 

At the end of the school day, I gathered up my things and left my classroom. I was one of the last people to leave since I helped the teacher clean up the classroom. Once I left, I noticed him standing there, waiting for me. 

Tobio Kageyama was standing outside of my classroom, waiting for me, with a black eye, and he looked extremely angry. 

"Oi, Y/N." Tobio said with a sharp tone, sharp enough to cut me into pieces. 

I froze, I was too scared to move. My eyes were wide, and I was sure that my fear was shown on my face. "T-Tobio, d-do you n-need something?" I felt my entire body tense while my hands began to shake. I was scared of this throughout the entire day, I was scared that Tobio would find me and force me to go back home. 

"Y/N, come on, we're going home." Tobio looked away from me, and I noticed his expression turn from extremely angry to sad and angry. His facial features tensed up slightly more, but it wasn't anger, it was sadness, maybe even fear. 

"Tobio, what happened to your eye?" I finally decided to comment on the black eye he had. I then looked down to see his hands were bruised too. 

"Dad happened, what else did you think." Tobio sighed, then looked at me dead in the eyes. "Look, both of us know that dad or mom, or maybe even both will do something to you once you get home, but maybe if you come home now it won't be as bad..." 

"Wh-what...?" I stuttered out, was Tobio trying to look out for me or something?

"I don't want to see you get hurt more than you have to, Y/N, so please." All of the anger that was once clearly printed onto Tobio's face disappeared, and was replaces with a look of pure despair. "When I noticed that you didn't come home last night, I- I was terrified. I didn't know what had happened to you, and I felt terrible." 

I felt tears start to form in the corners of my eyes, he really was trying to look out for me. Tobio was trying to look out for me and look at what had happened to him. Because of me Tobio got hurt. 

Tobio let out a small chuckle. "Haha, it's sad, isn't it? I was trying to make everything better and yet I only seemed to mess everything up for you even more... I lost my temper and made you upset, and I'm sorry. I know that you probably won't ever forgive me, but I wanted to try and make things right and that was the worst possible way I could have tried to do it." 

Tears began to run down my face once more, I felt terrible, and yet I felt happy at the same time. Tobio was really trying his best to be a better person, or at least it seemed that way, that part made me happier. Though I felt bad about what had happened to him, and it was all because of me. 

I walked forward towards Tobio and gave him a hug. He seemed shocked at first but eventually he hugged me back. His entire body seemed to relax. I guess he really did just need a hug. 

Word count: 1463