Part 5: The Other First Years

I got all of my stuff and got ready to head to practice early in the morning, from what I knew Tobio had already left to do... something. I'm not sure what he had to do but he seemed very adamant about me not saying anything to anyone about him leaving so early. I then walked to school by myself, feeling the air on my skin was both calming and unsettling at the same time. Once I got to the school, I realized that I had gotten there earlier than I should have. I also could have sworn that I saw a tuft of Hinata's orange hair run off somewhere, but I didn't pay any attention to that. 

I walked up to the door of the gym, and before I could open the door it flew open in front of me, and I saw Sugawara standing there, Tanaka was off in the back doing who knows what. "Hey there, Y/N! Come on in, Tanaka and I got here early so Daichi should be here soon." 

I nodded in return before Tanaka began to yell towards me. "Hey! Y/N! How about you come over here and set for me? It'll give the both of us a chance to practice together."

"Oh... alright, I can't promise that I'll be any good though." I said quietly. 

I went over to get the ball cart, then Tanaka and I set ourselves up so that he could easily hit my sets. I handed a ball to him then got into position. Tanaka tossed the ball up high in the air and I moved so that I was right under it, it was in the perfect spot to set. I set the ball and Tanaka jumped up and spiked it onto the other side of the court with ease, he then looked over to me and gave me a big smile.

"That was a perfect set Y/N! You haven't even played with me before and yet it was really easy for me to hit it. How'd you manage to do that?" Tanaka questioned.

"Oh, I was watching how you were spiking the ball last night during practice. Since I saw that I could easily adjust my setting style to how you seemed to prefer to hit. I also took into account how fast you normally approach the ball and how tall you are to try and get it to be just right." I explained, still managing to stay really quiet while I was explaining.

"Wow, that sounds really complex when you put it like that, I couldn't even set right for any of the hitters on our team when I first started out. Yet here you are getting it perfect from the start! I'm seriously gonna have trouble managing to stay ahead of you." Sugawara laughed.

"Oh uh, sorry... It's probably pretty weird or creepy that I was staring at all of the hitters whenever they went to hit... and plus that set wasn't even right, my hands didn't end in the right position which means that I must have done something wrong..." I felt the pressure from myself and everyone else, even people who weren't there at the time. 

I suddenly felt a very aggressive pat on the back that knocked the wind out of me. "Don't sell yourself short, Y/N. I saw that set and it was honestly amazing, if you can do a set like that most of the time then Sugawara's definitely going to have to fight for his spot as our team's official setter." Daichi laughed, I hadn't even noticed him walk into the gym. I guess I was just too absorbed in my thoughts to hear anything... I should really try to be more alert to stuff like that, for all I know I could get in a lot of trouble if I was caught off guard. 

Kinoshita, Narita, and Ennoshita soon showed up, and we went on with practice until it was time to get ready to go to first period. I went through the school day rather easily, and by that I mean I couldn't focus at all in class, so I have no idea what happened. I couldn't focus on class because I couldn't help but think of every mistake I made this morning during practice. 

Everything with me not paying attention was going fine until Tsukishima turned around and started talking to me. "Were you even paying attention to anything the teacher just said?" Tsukishima asked, in an extremely passive aggressive tone.

"I'll be honest with you, no. I was not paying any attention to this teacher or this stupid class."

"pfft- I mean I was thinking the same thing but I'm surprised you had the guts to say it out loud. Anyways, you better be happy because I actually heard what we're supposed to be doing." 

"...So? Care to explain why you're talking to me and what we have to do?" 

"We're supposed to talk to the same person we were talking with yesterday, except this time we're supposed to talk about the things we learned about this subject in school last year."

"That's literally one of the stupidest things I've ever heard." I sighed and looked at Tsukishima once more, there were a few small things that I noticed this time that I hadn't seen before, more specifically his face. His eyes were actually a really nice golden-brown color which complimented his blonde hair. "So I'm assuming that you don't want to do this 'assignment' either, so we're just gonna talk about something else since the teacher isn't actually paying attention to what we're doing?"

"Yeah, that was my plan at least, good to know that we're on the same page." 

We sat in silence for a little while before I finally decided to speak up. "Yesterday you said something about signing up for the volleyball team, right?"

"Yeah, I'm actually going to the practice after school today, and so is Yamaguchi." Tsukishima glanced over to a boy with freckles and green hair. 

"So I guess you two are the other first years that Daichi told me about." 

"Is Daichi the name of the team captain or something? And why was he talking about us?"

"Oh, yeah Daichi is the team captain, and he just mentioned that there were other first years joining the team at practice yesterday."

"Well, that makes sense I guess, are there any other first years on the team?"

"Yeah, there's Shoyo Hinata and Tobio Kageyama. Hinata is really energetic and he has like the brightest orange hair I have ever seen, you don't seem like the kind of guy who would like him at all. Then there's Tobio, who's my twin brother, in all honesty you probably won't like him either. Speaking from personal experience he's not liked very well by other people." 

"I guess I'll just have to see for myself if I like them or not. But you're probably right, just their names make them seem like they're annoying." 

The teacher then called all of us for our attention since we were about to go to lunch, so everyone packed up then went out of the classroom once the bell rang. I sat alone during lunch as I usually did, I actually enjoyed sitting by myself this time though. I had made sure to bring my phone and earbuds with me when I went to go sit on the roof. So I sat there, with my lunch, staring out towards the sky and the land surrounding Karasuno High School. 

The rest of the school day felt like it took forever, but I survived and managed to make it to practice. For the first time in a while, I actually had a little bit of fun while playing, not enough to make me like volleyball again though. Maybe this is because Tobio isn't here today, maybe he's the one who made me hate volleyball this much... Gah! What am I thinking, Tobio is the perfect child, that's what my parents have always said, so something else must be the cause of this. I just don't know what could make me hate volleyball so much besides Tobio, but he's too perfect to ever mess up enough to make me hate volleyball. 

Word count: 1382