Part 6: The Dreaded Match

Throughout the rest of the week at school, it was alright. I would go to practice in the mornings, suffer through all of my classes, and then go to volleyball practice once more after school. I didn't really make too many friends, but I had talked to Tsukishima and Yamaguchi a bit. I wouldn't say that I was their friend, I was obviously no where near good enough to be friends with either of them, but the two of them were really nice to me. 

Everything was going pretty well, which was a pleasant change, but then the weekend arrived. I was supposed to go to volleyball practice on Saturday, but my parents didn't let me go. They had found out what happened with Tobio and they both blamed it on me. My mother screamed at me until I was in tears, I tried to explain that I had tried to take Tobio's place so that he wouldn't get punished, but she was too busy screaming at me to care. Not to mention that my father hit me once he thought that I was going to start talking back to my mother. After what felt like forever I ran to my room, locked the door, and hid in the corner to cry my eyes out. Later that night my father had gotten drunk again, and I was the one who he decided to take out all his anger on. I always was. They hated me, not just my entire family, but everyone. No one has ever liked me, and anyone who was ever remotely nice to me was just faking it because they pitied me. My father and mother made sure to remind me of that every time they got even slightly mad at me. 

By the time that it was Monday, I was covered in bruises, and there was even a small cut on my face from my father throwing things at me while he was drunk out of his mind. I tried to cover up every small injury I was given, but I couldn't cover up all of them. It had been a while since I was last hurt this badly, I was usually only ever given a smack or two if my parents got mad at me, but when something bad I did affected Tobio even in the slightest, then all hell broke loose. 

I sighed, as I walked into the classroom and sat down at my desk. I couldn't muster up the strength to go to volleyball practice this morning, and I was certainly too tired to try and explain all of the bruises on my legs and arms to the team. I would have to explain to them eventually, but that could wait until after school. And in the end I didn't even have to explain where the injuries came from, every single time somebody tried to ask me about them I would walk away or just blatantly ignore them. All of my teammates were extremely concerned for me, but I didn't want to talk, nor would I ever talk even if they wanted me to. I kept on telling myself that they didn't care about me and that they were just pitying me every time they tried to talk to me. I just couldn't get any of those words out of my mind throughout the entire day, and then the next day was the day of the match. 

I walked over to the club room and changed into my clothes for practice. I wasn't the only one changing at the time, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi were both also there. I noticed Tsukishima glance over to me while we were changing, and when he saw how bad my torso was I saw his eyes widen ever so slightly. If I wasn't as good as reading people as I am then I would have had no clue that he was even shocked, but I was always good at noticing the smallest details when it came to a person's facial expression. 

I sighed, as I grabbed my stuff and headed to the gym to start warming up. I was already hurt and while I am stupid I'm not stupid enough to risk getting hurt even more right now. After I was finished warming up, and so was everyone else, I noticed Tobio and Hinata walk into the gym. Hinata was practically exploding with excitement, he was super ready to play. Tobio, however, was not nearly as excited, if anything he seemed kind of angry. Or at least I thought he was angry until he saw me, his face still seemed serious, but his eyes said it all. He looked like he pitied me, as though he felt bad for me, and that made me so inexplicably angry. I hated it when people pitied me, and the fact that everyone who was ever nice to me pitied me made it so I was angry whenever I was around people. I couldn't stand it at all.

After a little while, it was apparently time to start the match. I wasn't paying enough attention to what was going on to really care about the match that was about to begin. I was too busy being angry at just everything ever to pay any attention to what was about to start. And I could focus again until the ball was flying right towards my head. I lifted my arms up quickly and tried to set the ball to Daichi. Daichi went up to spike the ball but wasn't too harsh with his hit. Why wasn't he using his full power? This entire match is extremely pointless if our team doesn't try at all. Daichi might as well let the two of them onto the team right now with how this is going. 

I sighed and the match continued, though it seemed to get progressively harder with each point. Hinata and Tobio were trying so hard and obviously they were giving their all, and so were Tanaka and Ennoshita. I was trying hard enough to get all of the sets to someone so they could get it over, but after a very long time of me trying to make it so Tobio would lose, they actually won in the end. I knew this would happen... Why did I even get my hopes up that Tobio would lose and that I would get to be the setter on the team? I would have led us all to lose every match we ever played, while Tobio could lead them all to win every match. I'll just be a benchwarmer again, and that's fine. I'd rather have the team win and be stuck on the bench than have to team lose, I get to play, while Tobio also yells at me. 

"W-woah! Y/N are you okay? You look like you're really hurt, do you need to go to the nurse or something? You also look a little pale." Hinata started asking me.

I didn't respond and Hinata just looked at me, I didn't know what to say to him so I just said nothing. That was until Tobio answered for me. "He's fine, Hinata, and it's probably best if you just don't ask."

"Wow, I can't believe that the king of the court was really that inferior to his own brother." Tsukishima remarked. Both mine and Tobio's eyes widened at his sudden comment.

"The hell did you just say to me four eyes?!" Tobio started shouting at Tsukishima.

"What? I was just saying what I thought. I honestly can't believe that they didn't have Y/N be the official setter for Kitagawa Daiichi, he's obviously the better player and not some tyrannical ruler like you, Kageyama." I looked over to Tsukishima while he spoke, and I felt my face get even more pale than it was before. Tsukishima glanced over to me once he finished talking, and sudden concern flashed onto his face, he didn't know why I was like this but all he knew was that something had happened. Tsukishima didn't do anything about me being like this, or it was more like he didn't know what exactly to do.

I saw Tobio's hands tighten into fists as he glared at Tsukishima. "You're seriously gonna compare me to that piece of shit next to you?! You must really be blind to think that he can even compare to what I am!" Tobio shouted, and I was sent into a panic.

Oh no he's mad, and it's all my fault. What do I do what do I do what do I do what do I do...  My breathing began to quicken, and I felt my hands begin to shake. My eyes darted around the gym, trying to find some sort of exit. I felt like I was going to be sick, I couldn't be in this situation and I needed to get out as soon as I could. I then remembered that the exit was behind me, so I quickly grabbed my stuff and ran out of the gym. 

I ran until I was behind the school and relatively far away from the gym. I was shaking as I leaned against the wall and tried to catch my breath, but I couldn't. It felt like I couldn't breathe. I slid down the wall until I was on the ground with my knees hugged into my chest. I didn't know what to do and I couldn't do anything. So I just sat there, crying, for who knows how long. 

Word count: 1591