Part 7: Issues

I was shaking, hands clasped around my knees, back against the brick wall of the school. I felt like I couldn't breathe. It felt like I was going to die. I was scared, and I couldn't do anything about it. All I could do is sit there and shake. I couldn't hear anything going around me, and I could barely see anything around me. I was unable to focus my eyes on one thing so everything just looked like a blur as my eyes darted around the ground near me. I suddenly felt a hand touch my shoulder and my entire body tensed, I wasn't sure who was touching me until I looked up and saw him. 

I looked up and saw Sugawara there next to me, he obviously seemed tired, as though he was running in order to try and find me. I was able to focus my eyes onto Sugawara while tears were still streaming down my face. Sugawara pulled me into his arms and gave me a hug. I held onto him as I cried into his shoulder. I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't think clearly, all I could do was panic and cry. I was scared and Sugawara was providing me with some form of comfort and it was nice. It didn't seem like he was pitying me, he seemed to actually care about me. 

Even while it felt like Sugawara really cared about me, I couldn't help but listen to all of the thoughts in my head over what I was truly feeling. He doesn't care about you. He's doing this because he pities you and your poor unfortunate self. You're worthless. Pathetic. You'll never be anything compared to your brother. Tobio is better than you in every aspect, and you'll never be able to catch up to him. I couldn't deal with the pressure and all of the thoughts, but I also didn't want to seem weak in front of anyone, especially not someone who I had come to look up to like Sugawara. 

Once I was able to get my breathing steady, Sugawara released me from his hold. "Are you alright now?" Sugawara asked me, his voice was really calming, or maybe it was just the way he had said that. I nodded in response to him, I couldn't get myself to speak right now. "Do you need to talk about anything? If you do then I'm here for you, Y/N. We might not be close to each other but I'd still be happy to help out my underclassman." 

I shook my head no. "I-I'm fine now, and I'd rather not talk about anything. Sorry..."

"Hey, you don't need to apologize, you didn't do anything wrong. And I'm not sure why Kageyama said some of those things back there, but I'm sure that Daichi is scolding him a bunch. It's kind of funny when I think about it really. It's almost like Daichi is the team's dad, and he just started being the captain of the team." Sugawara laughed, and it cheered me up a bit. "I'm sure that Tsukishima also got in trouble, while what he said wasn't as bad as what Kageyama said, he did still provoke Kageyama. Not to mention that Tsukishima punched Kageyama once you left." 

"W-wait he what?" I managed to stutter out.

"Tsukishima got angry at Kageyama for what he said about you, not to mention that he made you that upset. I was honestly surprised that Tsukishima would punch Kageyama though, he doesn't seem like the kind of kid who would do that." Sugawara stood up. "Well, I'm sure that you can talk to Tsukishima about that if you need to, but for now how about we go back to the gym?" 

I nodded and stood up as well. The two of us walked to the gym in silence, and it wasn't awkward silence, it was actually somewhat comfortable. Once we got back to the gym I noticed that there were two separate groups of people. On one side there was Tobio, Daichi scolding him, Tanaka standing over there as well, and Hinata in the back seemingly confused about what exactly was happening. Then there was everyone else on the other half of the gym, most notably Yamaguchi and Tsukishima were over there. 

Once I entered the gym Tanaka and Tsukishima were the two who were the first to notice me, the others seemed occupied with something else so they didn't instantly notice me. I decided to walk over to Tsukishima first, just to see if he was okay and apologize for what had happened. 

"H-hey uh Tsukishima? Sorry about all of that happening, you really didn't have to do anything I would have been fine. I guess I just overreacted a bit..."

"Why are you apologizing? If anything Kageyama should be apologizing to you. You didn't do anything, Y/N, it was your jerk of a brother who is in the wrong here." Tsukishima stated, he was obviously still extremely angry at Tobio. 

I then noticed a tap on my shoulder, I tensed at the touch but relaxed once I turned around and saw that it was just Tanaka. "Hey, you good, Y/N? Kageyama was kind of a jerk back there and it obviously upset you, so I was just checking in." 

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Sorry that I overreacted and caused such a big scene, I r-really didn't mean to." I stuttered. I genuinely felt bad for how I had reacted, it seemed to be like everyone was really worried about me and mad at Tobio, which was one of the last things I wanted. 

Tanaka patted me gently on the back. "There's no reason for you to apologize, Y/N. And you don't need to worry about the rest of us either." Tanaka laughed, and I smiled in return. It was a pleasant surprise how everyone was so nice to me. 

I then felt a sharp glare pierce my back, while I couldn't see that Tobio was glaring at me, I could easily tell that he was. I looked over to see that Tobio was indeed glaring at me, I also looked over to see Daichi waving me over, and he was standing with Kiyoko. I hadn't really talked to Kiyoko much, and she hadn't talked to me either, but I could always tell that she was a nice person. Or at least I hoped that she was seeing how head over heels Tanaka was for her. 

Once I got over to Daichi and Kiyoko, Daichi began to speak to me. "I spoke with Kageyama about what he said to you, hopefully he got my message and won't say anything like that to you again, at least not during practice. If he does then I'll make sure to hold through with my promise, and either make it so that he can't be the official setter for the team, bench him for most games, or even kick him on the team if it's too extreme." 

My eyes widened at the last suggestion. "W-wait! Y-you don't n-need to do any o-of that stuff. I-I'll be fine even i-if he does say stuff like that t-to me. J-just please don't get him in t-trouble because o-of me." I stuttered, I could barely get myself to say anything, especially not any of that. Deep in my heart I knew that I wanted Tobio to get in trouble for what he said to me, but I also knew that I would get in even worse trouble than Tobio if he got in trouble. 

Kiyoko looked over to me, and I could tell that she was concerned. "Y/N, if there's something going on at home or with Kageyama or anything then please tell us. We can help out if you need it, you just need to tell us if you need help." Kiyoko put her hand on my arm to try and calm me down, she could tell that what she and Daichi had said was making me stressed. 

I shook my head no. "I'm fine, really, none of y-you need to worry about me." I was trying to keep myself from stuttering to make it seem more convincing, but I stuttered a bit in the middle of speaking. The two of them obviously didn't believe me, I could tell just from the look in their eyes. 

"Alright, but if you ever need anything don't be afraid to come to either of us." Kiyoko said, her voice was reassuring and more serious than she normally was. 

After a little while it was time to go home, and I was stuck walking home with Tobio. Once we had gotten far away enough from the team and the school, Tobio slapped me across the face. 

"You idiot. This is all your fault! Each time I'm getting in trouble with the volleyball team it's because of you! All of this is just your fault! I never did anything wrong and yet I'm the one getting in trouble, it should be you in this place not me! If it wasn't for you then I would be able to be happy and get to play volleyball without the entire team being angry at me for calling you out on your incompetence!" Tobio screamed at me, while I just stood there. 

I didn't respond, and didn't do anything, I just stood there until I felt hot tears streaming down my face once more. "And now you're pathetic enough to start crying and playing the victim? This is your fault because all you want is attention from everyone, and you make up for the fact that nobody likes you by making everybody pity you. It's pathetic." Tobio stormed off ahead of me, while I just stood there. 

Word count: 1631