Part 19: Unexpected

"Tadashi, do you... do you think I should tell Y/N how I feel about him?" Tsukishima said. 

I was standing outside of the clubroom when I heard those words from Tsukishima. I usually wasn't one to eavesdrop, but after hearing that I just had to know what exactly Tsukishima meant. 

"I think you should. Y/N seems to like you too, so I don't see what could go wrong if you did confess." Yamaguchi responded. 

W-wait, so Tsukishima likes me too? Th-there's no way, right? Ugh what am I even thinking! I must have just misheard them or something. Ugh! Who even cares, just go in there and get your stuff already!

I opened the door to the clubroom and quickly walked to gather my things. The two of them stopped talking as soon as I walked in. I changed quickly and then walked back out of the clubroom. As soon as I left the clubroom, I heard the two of them start speaking again. 

"D-do you think he heard any of that?" Tsukishima asked. 

"Well I would hope not." Yamaguchi chuckled awkwardly. "He doesn't seem like someone who would eavesdrop, so probably not. But who knows." 

I waited for Tobio to get all of his things, then the two of us walked home together. It was a silent walk home, though it wasn't an uncomfortable silence, it was not a comfortable silence either. 

Once we got home I headed straight to my room in order to try and avoid any contact with my mother. I got ready for bed, not bothering to eat dinner, and laid down. All of my thoughts instantly went to Tsukishima. It was pretty overwhelming to say the least. All of these unusual feelings that I had never experienced before. 

Was I really experiencing love for the first time? Or was I just confused? I knew that feeling this way about a boy was wrong, or at least I was always told that it was wrong. But if it was so wrong then why did I feel that way? If feeling a certain way was wrong, then how was I able to feel that way? Maybe falling in love with a boy wasn't as wrong as I was always told. 

I didn't want to deal with all of these feelings, so I just decided to go to sleep, and hope that I would forget about all of these feelings by the next morning. 

When I woke up, I noticed that I failed to get rid of all of my feelings. In fact, I did the opposite. I had a whole dream about Tsukishima and ended up waking up with a heavy blush on my face, sweating slightly, and breathing a little heavily. 

D-did I seriously just have a dream like that about Tsukishima? What the hell is wrong with me?!

I woke up earlier than I usually did, so I used that time to take a quick shower and try to collect my thoughts. Though I ended up getting out of the shower feeling even more confused than I did before. I quickly put on my clothes and tried to do anything to distract myself from all of these weird thoughts.

When I walked to the kitchen to quickly grab something to eat, I noticed Tobio sitting at the table eating his breakfast. My mother hadn't gotten out of bed yet, and she usually didn't since we could get to school by ourselves. 

Tobio gave me a weird look once he saw me walk down. I assumed that it was because my face showed how deep in thought I was, or it was because my face had an extremely noticeable blush on it. 

"Are you okay? You don't have a fever or anything, do you?" Tobio asked. 

"Eh? ah- n-no I'm- uh- I'm fine, haha." I laughed awkwardly to try and relieve the tension I felt in myself. 

Tobio looked like he didn't really believe me, but just went along with it anyways. "Alright then, whatever you say." 

Eventually the both of us were finished with eating, and we started to walk to school together. Before we could head out and begin walking, Tobio grabbed my arm and put the back of his hand to my forehead gently. 

"W-what are you doing?" I stuttered. 

"I'm checking to see if you have a fever, but your temperature seems normal." He moved his hand from my forehead, and then the two of us began walking to school. 

Once we got to school, the day went along pretty normally. Tsukishima seemed like he was acting slightly off, but I decided to not pay too much attention to it. I tried my best to work as hard as I could during practice after school, considering that our practice match was coming up next week. I was personally pretty nervous about it, but I felt like I could rely on my teammates enough to get through it. 

At the end of practice, I noticed Tsukishima seemed to be pretty nervous about something. He had already told me that he didn't care too much about the upcoming practice match, so I was practically clueless as to what Tsukishima could be nervous about. 

I decided to stay behind later than I usually did since I wanted to work on some of my own moves. I talked to Daichi and Coach Ukai and the two of them were fine with it, as long as I cleaned everything up and remembered to lock up once I was done. 

I noticed that Tsukishima was about to leave, so I quickly approached him. I wanted to ask him to stay behind and practice with me. After all, there was something I wanted to try out, and I thought that he would be the best person to ask. 

"Ts-Tsukishima!" I ran up to him. "Hey, I- uh- I wanted to ask you if you wanted to maybe stay behind and practice with me for a little while? Y-you totally don't have to if you don't want to, but there was something I wanted to try out with you." 

"Hm?" Tsukishima turned around to face me. "Yeah, I'd be happy to practice with you. There's something I actually wanted to talk about with you anyways." 

"Great! Thank you so much!" I smiled, and I noticed that Tsukishima was blushing. 

I wanted to practice setting the ball up for a tip, and I assumed that Tsukishima was smart enough to be able to understand what exactly I was trying to do, and how to give me any decent feedback. After the two of us practiced for a while, we both decided that it was time to finish up and clean the gym. 

We cleaned everything up, locked the gym, then we headed to the clubroom to grab our stuff and leave. 

"Ah, Tsukishima, you said you wanted to talk with me about something, right? What was it that you wanted to talk about?" I asked. 

"Oh- y-yeah I forgot about that." Tsukishima let out an awkward chuckle. 

"S-so, er, what was it that you wanted to tell me?" 

Tsukishima sighed, before turning to face me. He took my hands in his and stared down at them. "I-I'm in love with you, Y/N." 

"Wh-what?" 

Word Count: 1213