Part 16: Fear

Tobio pulled away from the hug. "We should head home now, Y/N."

"W-what? Why would you want to go home... are you crazy or something?" I was shocked by his words, why would he want to go back home when our own father had hurt him?

He sighed. "Dad isn't home. He's not gonna be home for a while, so we should be fine to stay at our own house."

"Well then what are we supposed to do whenever he gets back?" I asked.

"We'll figure something out when we get there, alright?" Tobio's tone became harsh for a moment, before it softened again.

He was getting irritated and I could tell. But, why would he be getting annoyed with me right now? I thought that he was trying to get me to forgive him, not to make me scared of him once more. All of this seems... weird. There's something wrong here and I can't tell what it is.

"But... what about mom?" My voice was quiet, I was scared of my mother just as much as I was my father.

"We'll be fine, alright? Trust me." Tobio seemed forceful with his words, only making me more suspicious of his actions.

I nodded and we began walking home together. I felt almost forced to feel bad for Tobio, and it didn't feel right. Why did this whole situation feel so wrong? It felt like Tobio changed too quickly. It was as if his attitude did a complete reset, and if I knew Tobio then that wasn't normal, not at all. If anything, it meant something bad.

I had been in situations like this with him before. Tobio would act nice to me, get what he wants, then I would get in trouble. If I had been in this situation over and over again, then why did I always fall for it? It would have to be because deep down inside of me I always hoped that he would truly change and be nice to me, for once.

Once we walked up to the door of the house, all I felt inside of me was fear. I knew that mom was home, and I knew that she would be angry with me. I felt Tobio nudge my hand with his, and I took his hand in mine and squeezed it. The two of us were standing outside of the house, and the both of us were extremely nervous.

I wasn't sure why Tobio was nervous, but I was just hoping that he hadn't truly lied to me. I was willing to give him this one final chance, and after that I would leave. This was the final chance I was going to give to anyone, and then I would run away. I had been dreaming of leaving my family behind for who knows how long, and if one more thing went wrong, then that's what I would do.

Then, we went inside. I instantly noticed that our mother was waiting for us on the couch.

She scoffed once she turned to face the two of us. "Tch, took you long enough. Care to explain what that little stunt you pulled yesterday was, Y/N?"

I stepped away from Tobio, I had a bad feeling that something was going to happen and I didn't want him to get too involved in it. "I-I- um- A f-friend invited m-me to st-stay the night a-and I f-forgot to t-tell y-you..." I managed to stutter out.

She let out a small laugh. "Ha! Don't make me laugh, there's no way that someone like you could get friends, let alone get invited to hang out with them. Don't even try to lie to me like that, you were trying to run away, weren't you?"

I felt my entire body tense up. All I felt was fear. Tobio put his arm in front of me to get in between my mother and I. "Mom. Could I talk with you for a second? Alone."

"Fine. Y/N, go to your room. Now." I nodded and quickly rushed to my room, though I left the door cracked open so I could hear what they were both saying to each other.

"Tobio, what do you want?" My mother began speaking to Tobio.

"Y/N... you said you would leave him alone if I got him to come home."

"Look, Y/N thinks he's better than you, so why would he deserve to have someone be kind to him? Especially you of all people. Why would you ever think that someone as great as you should be nice to someone as lowly as Y/N?"

"You always say that, mom, but I've never seen anything from him to back up your stupid claims." Tobio began. "He's never been rude to me, ever. And yet you always say that he wants to be above me, but he seems like he would rather hide behind me..."

"Tobio." My mother stated in a sharp tone.

Tobio ignored her. "It's the fact that he's scared of me that made me realize how terrible of a person I was really being. And how terrible of a person you and dad truly are..."

"Tobio." She stated once more, but Tobio proceeded to ignore her.

"All of that, after all of that I finally realized that maybe your the ones in the wrong." Tobio's voice was harsh, and he was trying to get a point through to mom, and it wasn't exactly working. "It took me so long to realize how terrible of a person you two made me into. I couldn't realize it until it was already too late, he's scared of me now and I feel so, so terrible about it."

"TOBIO." Mom was pushed to the edge, she was finished talking with him, and she was finished with him talking back to her. "You know, you were my favorite child for so long, you always did what your father and I said, and you've never pulled an idiotic stunt like this."

"What? Are you kidding me right now?" Tobio seemed shocked and even somewhat upset.

"Don't you dare talk back to me you idiotic brat." Tobio seemed taken aback from her comment; she had never insulted him before. "Tobio, if you don't stop now then I can assure you that you'll be getting a lot worse than that black eye from your father."

Tobio got the message, and he walked away from her. He walked towards the door of my room and I moved away from the door so that maybe it didn't seem like I was listening to them.

Word count: 1101