Chapter 17:

A week until Christmas, one of my all-time favorite day to spend quality time with the people who you cherish and love with all your heart and soul. I was excited to see the look on my parents faces when they receive the gift I bought for them. Same for my girls, Lo and Sampson. I couldn't wait to see everyone again; even my beloved boyfriend Harry. We talked a bit more since the incident of our arguments, and from judging the amount of shit that's been going on, we took a break from the fighting and dropped everything that was soiling out relationship. Let's just say we're on good terms. 

My plane was going to take off in a few hours, leaving back to England. Regina took away a few days earlier since she had family in Brazil too. I was almost done packing up my necessities as well as the gifts I bought for my family. I was utterly ecstatic to see everyone, and the jitters running through my mind and my stomach of the nervousness seeing everyone again drove me crazy.

Making my way to the airport, there was so much traffic from the holiday season; people were buying gifts for everyone, and you could see the bags piling upon bags in their hands weighing them down and slowing their movement was breath taking. Christmas is finally coming.

The airport was filled with people on their phones like always, people in red sweaters and ear muffs covering the body parts that didn’t want to be cold. Families were sitting down and drinking their hot chocolate waiting for the flight to arrive to go to wherever destination their heart desires. I dragged my suitcase along the white tiled floors in the airport as the wheels spun in the direction I was going; I looked around for my flight number and where I would be taking my airplane and once I did, I sat at a chair waiting patiently as they called out airplanes one by one. The weathermen said no snow was going to touch the city which is a revealing sign knowing there would be no delays or cancellations.

“Flight A-57 off for taking,” the over-com said as I looked down at my ticket that matched identical to the voice. I walked over to the line of families and people waiting to load up, and once they scanned my ticket I made my way into the warm airplane full with people.

They went over directions on how we need to be safe on such turbulence since it is the winter season and how we are going overseas, which means that if we do crash we would land in the ocean, stuff like that.

*

“We are ready for landing, please fasten your seatbelts,” the flight attendant said over the announcer as I did so, waiting for the moment I landed in England again. I was so excited; more likely was I going to cry.

We landed, and I unloaded from the airplane with my carry on and found my luggage at the pickup in the airport. I looked around the overly compacted airport for the curly head boy that I loved; and once I did my heart fluttered a million miles an hour. It was him.

I started to pick up my pace as I saw the back of his head with his slouchy posture that I surely recognized. Once I got to the very back of him, I had the slight whiff of his cologne that he always wears. Taking my index finger, I lightly tap his right shoulder making him jet back looking at me with the green eyes that I missed. His dimple deepened as he grinned.

“Essie,” he said slightly like I took the breath right out of him. I opened my arms as I was tucked into his in a warm hug; it felt like I never hugged him before. His warm breath trickled on the top of my blond head as the slight whimper of crying escaped his mouth. I looked up at him with the glistering sparkle in his green eyes as I smiled. “I missed you so much,” he managed to choke out with the withering expression on his face from utter excitement.

“I missed you too,” I said before I planted a gentle kiss on his pink lips. With that last kiss, we made our way to my family’s home as he dropped me off.

*

“Thanks for the lift,” I quickly told him as I gave him a gentle kiss and told him I loved him. I approached the front door to my parent’s house an old brick home with the hedges out front; just how I remembered it. I knocked three times, pounding my knuckles onto the wooden door as my mother greeted me with her bright smile and a huge hug. “I missed you so much sweetie,” she said as she strangled me in her hug and I giggled. It was nice seeing my family again as one. I saw my dad, and he’s not doing too well. I’m a little scared for him, he has all these cords connected to his body for him to live and it scares me to think without one pill he takes he could die.

I don’t want my father to die; not now. Not, ever.

*

“So, tell me how you and your little boyfriend are,” my mother says as she wiggled her fork at me at the dinner table with a little piece of steak on it.

After I finished chewing my food that was in my mouth, I spoke up. “Good, better than usual. We did get into a few fights but it’s all sorted out,” I told them both. I watched my father at the table coughing and hacking up a storm, mucus coming up when he coughs, and how he could barely eat any hard food. My mother has to blend his food in a bullet for him to eat.

“I see you’re gaining some of that weight back,” my mother points out as from before; during my depression I was almost less than one hundred pounds. I giggled at the thought since it’s long passed. “Yeah,” I said as I continued to eat. We talked some more about how my school was going, how Harry was and my friends; and if I met knew friends as well. My mother stopped me after dinner and brought me into the living room without my father there.

“You’re father isn’t doing so well,” she told me as I weakened a bit in the inside to see my father hurt so much.

“I know that,” I said sadly as my mother wrapper her arm around my shoulders and leaned me into her arm to be comfortable.

“He will get better, he will. Trust me on this one,”