17

"How's your arm..?"
Mr.Compress had been gone for three days. By the time he returned the league had settled in a new living space, a large, but empty shop in a part of town that had been all but abandoned. The top half happened to have a living space.
At this point calling Giran a life saver wasnt too far from accurate. Dabi and (N/n) owed him one after their searches for a place to stay came up empty.

Compress shrugged his shoulder, his new, metallic arm attachment made minimal sound as it moved under his sleeve. "As good as it can be I suppose."
(N/n) wore a solemn look.
"Ah- don't worry, I'm glad I even have an arm at this point (N/n)" he said, waving off the circumstance with his artificial hand. "You really saved me back there. I owe you one."
"You don't, it's okay."
"I'd keep the favor if I were you." Dabi mentioned from across the room.
The two looked over to him quietly.
(N/n) narrowed her eyes slightly. "We're all working together. There's no need for favors."
Dabi clicked his tongue, leaving the room with a shrug.
Compress was awkwardly silent. Twice, who had been on the couch, leaned a bit closer to the group to feel more included as he spoke.

"(N/n) is he alright? Yo Dabi seems crazy happy lately."
The girl shrugged slightly. "I dunno..."
"He has been a little more pouty lately." Toga hummed, stretching a little as she walked over to sit with them all.
"Pouty?"
"You know." She made a face, trying to mimic the angsty look she associated with the male. "Like this."
"Ah, I guess you're right..."
"Maybe you should check on him."
"Yeah, you should! No way good riddance to him"
The girl blinked a few times.
All eyes were on her, looking expectantly. She suddenly felt flustered.
"Wh- wait why does everyone expect me to do it?"
"Isn't it obvious?" This time, it was Shigaraki's deeply unimpressed voice that chimed in. He entered the room slowly, and plopped himself down in what was a poor excuse for a kitchen. It was the only place with chairs besides the near-empty living room, which he didn't not want to be in while everyone else was.
(N/n) didn't know how to answer. It seemed everyone else in the room was also somewhat caught in the whiplash Shigaraki's comment caused.
The air was suddenly uncomfortable. (N/n) bit her lip, and ducked her head slightly as she ushered herself out of the room. The others just watched silently, exchanging glances with each other for several moments after her departure.

"So uhm..." Toga picked at her fingers awkwardly, breaking the silence.
Twice cleared his throat. "Shigaraki..? Is there something we're not caught up on here..?"

The blue haired male lowered his gaze to a glare.
"No." He said sternly, turning away, and focusing on the glass of water set in front of him. "Nothing."

(N/n) slowly treaded up the stairs to figure out which room Dabi had chosen to hide out in. She settled on the only one with the door closed. It was the same room they had slept in. It seems like the league was already adjusting to their new space, since their room, Toga's, and Shigaraki's were already unofficially claimed. She didn't bother knocking. The door creaked as she slowly peered inside.
"Hey..." she mumbled.
He gave her a glance, but no words.
She entered and shut the door again behind her. She slowly approached him, and sat down at the end of their makeshift bed, on the floor since the level was about the same.
She pursed her lips, not knowing how to even start. "Uhm... the others... they wanted to know if you were okay."
"Why?"
"Well... you haven't been exactly yourself."
"I'm always myself."
"Okay that's what I mean, dumbass."
His face dropped to a scowl. She tilted her head towards a bit, expecting some sort of answer. She wasn't leaving until she got one.
It was a solid minute before he broke, an exasperated sigh leaving him as shifted to face away from her.

"You can tell them all to chuck their concerns... I'm not here for this 'family' crap you all are playing."
Oh...
So that's what it was.
"They just... they want a place to belong." She mumbled. "It's not that weird if you think about it. It's not like they have anything else."
"And you?" He scoffed.
She felt a little bad hearing his tone. "What about it..?" She asked hesitantly.
"Don't be stupid (N/n). You're playing house just like the rest of them." He muttered. "You should quit making things complicated."
"Complicated?" She furrowed her brows. "What's that supposed to mean?"
He was quiet.
"Dabi."

It took a while to get a response from him. Even when she did, it wasn't a great one. "Nothing. Just.." he sat up, running his hands though his hair, and letting out a long, slow sigh. "I'm just pissed. You're acting all nice with everyone and they're claiming us and I just think it's stupid."
(N/n) frowned, part of her felt like what he was saying wasn't entirely true, but the other was a bit taken back. "It's not stupid to me..." she said quietly. He glanced at her through the corner of his eye, and she took that as an invitation to move closer, placing a hand on his arm. "Dabi..." he wasn't listening to her and she knew it. "It's all I have..."
"I should be enough."

The words felt heavy in the air. The first excuse seemed too convenient to be real, but this one. It felt a bit more sincere.
(Y/n) should know. That sentiment carried heavily through the first half of their lives.

It was hard not to look hurt with her brother's statement. The feeling of guilt slowly seeped into her chest. What was she supposed to say to that? It had been so long since Dabi had been this open about something like this. He really wasn't acting like himself after all.
And apparently it was her fault. At least partially.

"I'm sorry..." She mumbled.
He didn't respond.
"Dabi..."

She could only take a few minutes of oppressive silence, before the weight of the conversation felt like too much for her. She bit her lip, and slowly stood, gently rubbing the male's arm before pulling away.
"I'm here if you need anything okay?"
"...yeah."

The door clicked as she left, leaving him alone. She wished for the same, and so she headed downstairs, quietly announcing that she was going out, and leaving before anyone had the chance to question her.

______________________________