37: California

August 20th was creeping up on me. I couldn't be happier about finally getting to go to the college of my dreams, but knowing I would have to say goodbye to my friends and boyfriend was like a dark cloud over my head.

     Things had calmed down a bit the past month. I was being civil, but short with my mom. As for my dad, we didn't say a word to each other. Things were tense to say the least. But that's to be expected when the family skeleton is finally out of the closet.

     Darren on the other hand had been wonderful. He tried to make every day count, even when he wasn't feeling one hundred percent. He took me on dates every few days. Movies, dinners out, getting take out and staying in, a day at the beach. He was really trying, and I appreciated it. It was making my summer enjoyable, and distracting me from the family drama.

     Avery, Daniela, and Kade were also being amazing as usual. We made sure to hang out often since we knew the clock was ticking. I have no doubt in my mind that we'll still be best friends though. We have a group chat and we'll call frequently. Of course once I'm settled in Cali I'll make new friends and hopefully have a group of people I trust, but nothing can change or take away from the childhood friends I have here.

     As for my biological dad and half sister, Faye, we talked here and there. It was still awkward, but I decided to make arrangements with him as soon as I got there. I told him I wouldn't need to live in the beach house full time since I was looking forward to living on campus, but that it'd be nice to stay there on the weekends or when I wanted to get away for a bit. He said he was more than happy to have me stay there whenever I please. "It's just sitting there anyways!" He said.
     Faye was...being Faye. She seemed to handle all of this better than me, but perhaps that's because she already knew most the story. Besides the part about me existing. I could tell it was a hard pill to swallow for her, but we were having fun texting and getting to know each other. So far, we didn't have too much in common, but every once and awhile we'd bond over liking the same song, or over boy stories from our past. She once dated a SoundCloud rapper, which there are many of in California, trying to make their big break. She said it was a disaster, and she had to finally dump him. He made a mixtape about her (and a bad once at that) shortly after. I laughed and she cringed looking back, wondering why she ever liked him in the first place. She was now talking to this guy who also went to UCLA. He was the kind of guy that knew a bunch of bands no ones ever heard of and constantly quoted literature since he's an english major. She thought it was cute, but he sounds pretty pretentious to me. But I think someone like that might be good for her, and judging by the photo she sent, he was pretty cute!

     While I was busy filling out more paper work for college, Darren came in my room. His birthday was in October, so he wouldn't be living here too much longer. Honestly though, he hung out at his cabin most of the time anyways, so he wasn't too much of an addition to the household. Jamie and him were getting closer though, which I loved. It was nice to know my boyfriend and sister got along. 

     "Knock knock." He said knocking on my open door smiling like a dork.

     "Hey, " I smiled. "I'm just finishing up some things."

     "You want to be alone?"

     "No! Come in. I like your company." 

     "Okay." He smiled flopping onto my bed. "I know you've been pretty stressed lately. So if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know."

     "I'm not stressed! What makes you say that?"

      "Arabella. Come on," He gave me a knowing look. "You can't lie to me."

     "I know." I sighed. "I'm just trying not to get so overwhelmed by everything. I usually know exactly how to handle things and keep my emotions out of it, but it's been so hard lately."