35: A leap of (Faye)th

**please read authors note at the end!! <3

"Arabella?"

     "Christopher? Hi." My voice shook. I didn't want to sound nervous, but my voice gave it away instantly.

     "My goodness. It's so nice to hear from you. I've been following you on your mom's facebook all these years. I know more than you think. I'm so proud of everything you've accomplished and I'm so glad you seem to be living a happy life."

     "I bet there's still a lot you don't know though. Mom and...dad weren't supportive at all. Mom only recently was. However, dad is still pissed about me going to Cal Tech if that's even what I should call him anymore." My tone was unwillingly full of anger.

     "You're upset." He said with disappointment.

     "Well yeah, I don't really know how else to feel. I find out I've been lied to my entire life. The dad I grew up with never really accepted or loved me. It's been really hard. I've had to fend for myself and create a future that could actually be mine. You know they just wanted me to marry rich or become a model trophy wife?"

     "I'm sorry. I had no idea your mom-I, I couldn't reach out to you. She didn't want me to."

     "So what? I'm your kid. You could've ignored her. Don't try to pin all of this on her because you're the one who walked out on me just to have another kid that I also know absolutely nothing about. How do you think this feels? Finding out all of this at eighteen years old?" I was beginning to raise my voice. Years of anger had been built up. Everything suddenly made sense, and yet nothing made any sense at all.

     "Arabella, please. Hear me out. I know I messed up. I've messed up a lot in my life. I walked away because I knew I wasn't fit to be a father at that time. Your mother and I weren't happy together anymore. The timing was just all wrong and I'll never be able to repay you for those lost years, but I want to know you now. I want to be a part of your life. I know it won't be a normal father/daughter relationship, but I have to try. This has haunted me for years and I want to fix it. I want you to meet Faye and I want to see you graduate college and be there for you."

     His words made me tear up, and I knew in my heart that he meant the words he was saying, but the pain in my chest was still there. "I just don't know how to handle this."

     "It's messed up, I know. Your mother and I were wrong to put you through this and it kills me knowing I hurt you. Can you give me a chance?"

     "Yes." I let out a sniffle and wiped my tears away.

     "When are you coming to California? I really want to see you so we can talk and work everything out. 18 years worth of talking can't happen on a phone call."

     "Not until August 20th. That's when I get to move into my dorm and then the orientation is that week."

     "But that's almost two months away!" He said with surprise.

     "You waited this long. What're two more months?" I said bitterly. There was silence for a moment.

     "I deserved that. I'll talk to you soon. Things are going to change and get better when you move here Arabella. I promise."

     "No, they're not. I'm going to have to leave my boyfriend and my best friends.  They're the only good things in my life right now."

     "You have a boyfriend?" He said with sadness. I could tell he was realizing how he truly missed out on my life and knew nothing about me.