19: A confused heart

I woke up to the sound of music softly playing from last night. Once the memories sunk in, a sadness came over me. Last night I felt angry because of the way Darren had spoken to me, but that rage faded. All I was left with sorrow and worry. I knew as long as he had schizophrenia, he wasn't completely safe. He could be anywhere doing anything with no one there to stop or help him. The thought worried me to death. There was nothing I could do. Just like the day before yesterday; I was right back where I started.

     I wanted to talk about prom with Avery. Not only to discuss what happened to me but his experience too. For the most part, I left him and Delilah alone.

     We decided to meet at the local coffee shop. I quickly got dressed and as I was heading downstairs I heard the annoying voice of my little sister.

     "Arabella! Wait!"

     "What?" I asked turning my heel once I reached the bottom of the stairs.

     "Was Reed here last night?" She asked with bright eyes.

     "Yep. Didn't you hear us come in or something?"

     "No! I actually went to sleep early. Ugh, I always miss everything!" She whined.

     "You act like I would've let you hang with us." I laughed.

     "Well, I wanted to at least meet him! My friends are going to freak when they find out."

     "Jamie, please don't tell anyone. Nothing happened between us or anything but I'd rather not have any rumors spread." I asked nicely.

     "Just my best friends?"

     "No, Jamie! They'll get the wrong idea."

     "Fine. Then I want to meet him." She crossed her arms.

     "Fine. I'll ask him to come over later today if it matters that much to you." I rolled my eyes and grabbed my keys. She squealed in excitement as she ran back to her room. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed that she was acting just like any other girl who swoons over Reed at our school.

     Avery was already there waiting for me when I arrived. I walked inside and greeted him with a smile. "Hey!"

     "So. How was prom for you?" I asked with excitement after sitting down.

     "It was decent! Delilah and I agreed to be friends. I'm pretty sure whatever spark left between us is long gone."

     A sense of relief passed over me. Avery deserved so much more. "Thank goodness. I could barely stand to look at you two...no offense."

     "None taken." He laughed. "How was your prom?"

     "Oh my. Where do I start?" I laughed.

     "I noticed you left early. What happened?" He asked.

     "Well, first of all, Darren saw me walk in with Reed."

     "Wow, that's a bit awkward."

     "Indeed it is. Then I ditched Reed to go talk and dance with Darren. I asked him like two questions and he freaked out on me and told me I'm no different than any other person and that I'll never fix him and walked out. So he kind of broke me a bit." I sighed.

     "Oh Doo." He said sadly. "I'm sorry."

     "It's okay."

     "I would've been there for you if you would've come to me!"