33: all of me

I love the feeling of being in Darren's arms. The only thing that feels similar was being with my best friends. Being around people who know me better than anyone else, especially now that my family life was more dysfunctional than ever. My friends and Darren are becoming my rock.

     "You know we're eventually going to have to get up, right? Darren said with a raspy voice.

     "Shhh." I stroked his chest and closed my eyes.

     "Darling, as much as I love laying here in silence I think we should talk a bit. Your parents could come home any minute now."

     "I don't wanna talk," I whined, stuffing my face into the crook of his neck.

     He giggled, "Hey, come on. Don't start acting all moody and closed up like me."

     "You've gotten better about that." I winked.

     "Thanks to you. Now the roles are reversed. What are you going to say to your parents?"

     "I was thinking about winging it."

     "The science genius wants to wing it? Doesn't sound like the Arabella I know.

     "I'm not a genius...yet," I smirked.

     "You're too cute, which is why I'll drop it for now."

     "Thank you," I sighed. "I really appreciate you, Darren. You care about me so much."

     "Says the girl who traveled the united states just to find me."

     "And I'd do it a hundred times over again." I looked up at his gleaming eyes that looked at me in a way that can only be described as pure love.

-5 Hours later-

     "I'm scared." My voice shook as I was getting ready to confront my parents with Jamie by my side.

     "You deserve to know. We both do." She whispered into my ear. We walked down the stairs to see my parents sitting on the couch in the living room watching the local news.

     "Hey, I need to talk to y'all. It's serious." I said firmly.

     "What now, Arabella? Don't tell me you want a new car or something."

     "No. I know about my dad. My real dad. And I want some answers."

     My parents looked at each other in shock and became as pale as ghosts. I wasn't planning on holding back from getting the truth.

     "How...do you know about this?" My mom said quietly.

     "I accidentally saw some messages. I also now about Fay, the secret sister I have."

     "Honey, I know this is a lot for you. I know you must hate me right now but-"

     "Just explain," I said firmly. "No lies, no excuses."

     "Alright. Your...father was a businessman. He worked and worked, day and night. Your sister, Fay, isn't mine. He had her a few years before we got together. If she were mine, I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her."

     "But dad could leave me," I said with pain.

     "It wasn't that simple. Your father wasn't the best at being a father. He was never home. He cared more about his career than us. I did what I thought was best, and when I met Dad, the man who you should consider your father because he raised you, I knew you'd be in a loving home with two parents. I planned on telling you but the years just went by so fast and I was afraid."