21: The deep blue sea

A normal week of school went by. Avery wasn't sitting with us at lunch and he continued to hold a grudge. I didn't understand it because I did what he wanted. Reed and I weren't going to excel and I knew that. He helped me see that my priorities were messed up.

     School was quickly coming to an end with only one and a half more weeks left. With SAT's being around the corner studying has been my main focal point. I did most of the prep and work last year, and even took the test as a practice run. Turns out I did so spectacular that The Institution of Science Technology wanted to offer me a full ride.

     Believe it or not Reed and I were slowly becoming strictly friends. The spark between us was fizzling. He was good company when I needed someone to talk to, and he felt the same way when he needed someone as well.

     And Darren; no news. I had still heard nothing from him. He was the thought that stole me from sleep every night.

     Thankfully, today is Friday. When I got home I ran straight to my bed unable to deal with life. Ah, the weekend.

     Before I could shut my eyes, my phone began ringing, interrupting any type of peace I was experiencing.

     I groaned as I got up to get my phone from my backpack. "Hello?" I answered.

     "Let's go out tonight!" Daniela said happily.

     "No." I groaned. "I'm so exhausted and I still need to study."

     "You're no fun."

     "I know." I sighed. "Go with Kade. Y'all can make a date out of it."

     "Hmm, okay! If you insist." She sang cheerfully.

     "Okay, I'm going to sleep now. Love you girl." I said hanging up and tossing my phone beside me.

     And just like that, I fell to sleep.

•••

     *knock knock ding dong*

     *knock knock knock knock knock*

     *ding dong ding dong*

     "Hey someone's at the door. Get it." Jamie said into my ear.

     "Whoa, what?" I said waking from my slumber.

     "Mom and dad aren't going to answer it, and neither am I! Your friends are the only ones who ever come around here anyway."

     "Ugh fine," I said getting up and walking downstairs.

     Whoever was at the door was being pretty obnoxious with the doorbell.

     *ding dong*

     "I'm coming!" I said before opening the door.

     It was Avery.

     "Arabella." He said grabbing me into a tight hug.

     "Avery! What are you doing here?"

     "Apologizing. I'm so so sorry." He said hugging me tighter.