24: Escape

I rented a hotel room for the night at the Holiday Inn since it was two minutes away from the mental hospital. My plan was to go visit tomorrow, somehow get them to let me take Darren out to go and eat somewhere, but we'd actually be going back to the hotel to relax before taking off for Rhode Island. It was simple, and surely couldn't work for the average person, but they didn't have any real info on Darren, and all they know about me is my first name. I also planned to take an uber, so they couldn't trace the license to me. For once, I was thankful for Darren's stubbornness on his lack of information.

     While waiting for visiting hours, I decided to go down to the first floor and enjoy myself at the breakfast buffet. I watched the weather channel and observed the families around me. They were all laughing and smiling cheerfully. In a way, I missed my family already. I still had no calls on my cell from either parent. Jamie had simply texted if I was okay after my flight. After feeling slightly lonely, I decided to check on her.

Me: Hey James, how's it going? Have mom and dad asked where I am?

     She answered rapidly, which is no surprise considering how attached teens are to their cell phones.

Jamie: I told them you were going on a roadtrip...

Me: But my cars at home

Jamie: Yeah that's when they realized I was lying..

Me: Jamie!!!

Jamie: I'm sorry!

Me: well what did you say?

Jamie: I told them the truth!

Me: the whole truth?!

Jamie: NO! calm down. Just that you wanted to get away for awhile to "treat yourself" as a graduation gift to yourself. They were kinda mad you didn't tell them... so I'm guessing they're going to be giving you the silent treatment for a bit.

Me: Okay, thanks.

Jamie: whatever, I love being the only child already

Me: I bet you do kid :P

     She misses me, I know it.

     I went back up to my room and packed my purse with essentials. I then gathered up all my things and re packed my luggage. It was a nice two days, but I needed to get Darren back home as soon as possible. As I struggled to make everything fit, I quickly regretted packing almost two weeks worth of outfits.

     I checked the time and jumped up from excitement. Here goes nothing. I opened my uber app and entered the address. Five minutes later, the driver was outside.

     "Hi!" I said with a friendly smile.

     "Hello! I see we're not going too far. Keeping it easy for me, thank you." He smiled back.

     "No problem! So look, I'm kind of in a hurry, so when I come back out with my friend, can we leave right away?"

     "Of course!" He nodded. He turned on the radio and we had arrived after hearing one song.

     "Oh, and can you park further away from the front doors?" I said once we reached the parking lot.

     "Uh, sure." He seemed put off by my request. I couldn't let him know that I was technically kidnapping a patient. I'd have to make up something before he gets suspicious.

     "You see, I recently failed my driver's test, and my aunt works here. She's a total gossiper. If she saw me taking an uber, the whole family would know within an hour."