20: Friends?

"Oh my goodness. Stop. You have to be kidding me. Are you kidding?! You better not be. " Daniela shrieked.

     "Dude, what?" Kade asked with a blank expression.

     "No..." Avery put a palm to his face.

     This was my friend's reaction to the news concerning Reed and me.

     As if on cue, Reed came up behind me, throwing his arm around me and sitting down.

     "No way. No way is this jerk sitting here with us." Avery shook his head.

     "Aw, I'm guessing they're not handling this well." Reed frowned.

     "Look, I know it's crazy. Reed's actually an okay guy. We're not together or anything. We're j just seeing where this goes." I explained.

     "No offense, but I haven't heard of something more wrong since I watched the news; and that political stuff is very wrong," Kade said.

     "I agree." Avery scoffed.

     "What they mean is you don't have the best reputation and we don't want to see our best friends get hurt. But I'm sure that won't happen." Daniela smiled at Reed dreamily.

     "Thanks, Daniela." He winked at her. "Hey babe, I'm going to go sit with the guys. Catch you later."

     He kissed me on the cheek and I waved goodbye.

     "I can't believe I just witnessed that," Avery complained. "Arabella, you're better than this."

     "I supported you when you went to prom with that witch! Why can't you support me?"

     "First of all I only asked her because you said no!"

     A flood of guilt ran over me.

     "And what happened to your no dating in high school promise to yourself? You're seriously going to break it for some dumb guy like him who's practically slept with the whole school?" Avery raised his voice.

     "Avery, stop," Daniela said calmly.

     "Are you just going to make yourself another one of those idiots that gets their heart broken by him? Because it's only a matter of time before he screws up, and when you're torn and needing a friend, I'm not going to be here for you. If you continue dating him I'm losing any type of respect I had for you."

     And with that, Avery picked up his tray, threw it in the trash and stormed out of the cafeteria.

     "Oh sh*t," Kade said under his breath.

     "Wow. I've never seen him so angry." Daniela said.

     "I need to get some fresh air." I got up and ran outside and sat at an abandoned table in the courtyard.

     I fought tears as I thought about the words Avery had said. They cut through me like a knife. The funny thing about words is the usually hurt the most when they're true.

     What was I doing?

     I've completely lost sight of what's important to me, all because of a boy. A stupid boy! Two boys- actually. Being with Reed would be like living the life my parents wanted for me, and I sure as hell don't want that life.

     I want to be independent, successful, helpful to the world, have a purpose!

     The last thing I need is some guy getting in the way of that when I already have another guy somewhere lost in the world probably in serious danger.