Chapter 5 - They're back

⚠️ TW: physical abuse ⚠️

I showered again to wash off the dust of the sandlot and then changed into something presentable for when my parents arrived with my sister.

I could see my brother had changed into something else too, (see picture above), smart choice. I knew my father would be expecting dinner to be ready when it arrived so I ordered some Pizza from a near by diner.

It arrived about five minutes before my parents, I had just finished setting the table when the door swung open. "Aliza, Jordan we're home!" My step-mother called.

I walked out of our kitchen to the front door and then kissed my father in both cheeks. He hated being hugged, and if I'm honest I preferred not to be around him at all.

I air-kissed my step-mother as well, making sure not to come too close, it was not because she was touchy about things like that like my father but because I didn't like her. She could have easily stopped him from sending me away but she didn't, just like she never stopped anything.

I offered to help my sister take her bags upstairs and only once we had reached the safety of her her room did I let out a squeal and fling my arms around her neck.

Rebecca was my older sister, she was 22 now and fresh into of law school, she clasped my cheeks and kissed my forehead. "The last time I saw you, you were eight years-old my god you're so grown up!"

It was true I hadn't seen anyone in my family but my father in the last seven years, I had called my brother and sister it sent them letters  but never actually seen them in person.

The last time I'd seen Becs was when she was fifteen, her hair had been up to her waist and she had insisted on wearing plaid shirts with every single outfits, it's why I had so many of them now. All of her old clothes were mine now.

Now she was even more gorgeous, her auburn hair was glossy and tied up in a high pony tail where the tips brushed the beginning of her spine. Her green-blue eyes gleamed perfectly in the bedroom light. Golden sunglasses were perched on the top of her head and she wore light blue shorts a blue shirt that read daydreamer and to my not so great surprise a blue/purple plaid shirt over the top.

I grinned uncontrollably, "JORDAN!" I shouted as quietly as I could. Our brother walked into the room looking absolutely beat down but as soon as he saw Rebecca his face lit up.

The two of them winked at each other and high fived before Rebecca but him in a loving headlock. A spark if envy lit up inside of me knowing that he had gotten more time to spend with her than I did.

"CHILDREN! Dinner time!" My step-mother shouted. Begrudgingly we left the room and walked downstairs into the kitchen where my father and mother sat slices of Pizza already on their plates.

"So Alisa how was boarding school?" My step-mother asked.

Horrible you awful woman! I went through hell for seven years because you couldn't step up and say NO when you saw how terrified of leaving I was! Instead I suffered alone, and worst if all you didn't even try to contact me because you're my fathers little bitch!
I bit back the urge to scream it at her face and instead I said bluntly; "it was good."

She nodded uncomfortably and tried to make conversation with my siblings who responded just as coldly as I did. None if us had any connection to this woman other than our shared last name. We despised her. Not as much as our Father, he was the pinnacle of our hatred and rage, but our step-mother some close behind.

We sat in awkward silence not knowing what to say, but just before the meal ended my father said. "Jordan, Aliza, I got your reports back from the school."

Me and my brother tensed instantly, discussions like this were never good. "Jordan would you like to explain to me why you have a D in Chemistry?" He asked dangerously calm.

My brother nodded, "I haven't been doing so well recently but it will go up next year! I promise! School starts soon and it will go up!" He explained frantically.

Then our father turned to me, "And Aliza, I must confess I was deeply disappointed when I saw your behavioural report. Sneaking out, swearing at teachers, getting into fights! Really, I expected better from you!"

Even Rebecca who was not getting punished this time has her lips drawn in a thin line and I could see she was squeezing Jordan's hand under the table which made me wonder what was going to happen next.

My father took a deep breath, "obviously I will have to punish you accordingly for this. How about for the rest of the summer you two clean up the kitchen and do the dishes every night. That seems fair right?" We nodded glumly, this wast so bad, his grin turned malicious and it made my stomach turn, "I want to see this kitchen spotless." He said taking his glass into his hand, "SPOTLESS!"

The glass smashed on the floor as did a plate a couple of seconds later, Jordan grabbed me and pulled me over to the kitchen wall in record speed. I wrapped my arms around him tears streaming down my face as porcelain and glass smashed in the wall above us and rained down on to us.

Rebecca ran over to my father trying to rip the plate out of his hand, a fateful mistake, he whipped around slapping her so hard in the face she fell onto the floor near the glass he has broken there. Then my father placed the plate back on the table and left my step-mother trailing behind not bothering to check if we were alright.

I let out a strangled sob hurrying my head in my brothers shirt only to see he was in the verge of tears too. Rebecca got up off the floor and then hugged us tightly.

After a while we stood up to examine the damage, my sister had a red mark in her face and a bruise from our fathers wedding ring along with some cuts from the glass that had been lying on the floor on her legs.

Jordan had a couple of cuts in his hands and face and back of his neck but the rest of him was covered by his jeans and plaid jumper jacket thing. I had apparently fared the worst, it had been a stupid idea to wear a dress. I was such an idiot!

Bruises and blood speckled my face, arms legs and upper back. I took out my ponytail and the glass that had collected in it clattered to the floor.

After we had cleaned up our dinner and then the broken plates and cups Rebecca insisted we go to the bathroom to clean ourselves up. She examined us vigorously applying disinfectant to our small yet stinging injuries.

Then I did it to her, not wanting to be alone Beccs and I decided to both sleep in my bed, we used to do it all the time when we were little. We changed into our Pyjamas and then brushed our teeth, before we went to sleep I left Philippa a message saying not to come wake me tomorrow and to ask Wendy to come to the sandlot with her because I have plans with my sister tomorrow.

Not quite a lie but not quite the truth either, I wasn't feeling very social for tomorrow, if I had it my way I would probably stay at home all day and not talk to anyone but my siblings.

I turned of the lights and then pulled the blankets over me and my sister who pulled me into a warm hug. She fell asleep faster than me, all I could think about was what had just happened.

Maybe I had been the lucky one, sure my boarding school was fucked up, but what was worse my father abusing us or the school? And them when those thoughts subsided all that could course through my brain was one thing: 

Now I knew why Jordan had a secret gun, because he was scared our father would murder us in our sleep and he would be helpless to stop it.

A/n: thank you so much for reading my story!!