We are Ghost-Mates (Daminette)

It was cold, a calm breeze chilling people to the bone, like little kisses of frostbite upon their warm skin. The Autumn leaves dancing down from their place up above, not a bird in the sky as most have traveled south by now. It's spooky season and the hustle and bustle of the Gotham streets are forever going. Parents telling old ghost stories of the rumored Batman and his family, and their adventures fighting against the Gotham crime. They were all legends, rumors, and ghosts.

They'd tell stories of Red Hood whose bullets never missed, or Nightwing and his flying on the battlefield, he soared like a performer in the circus, Red Robin and his wits, he always knew what to do, the real brains of the show. There was also Black Bat and her dancing, Spoiler, and her forever purple suit, Batwoman's fiery red hair, Signal the daytime hero of Gotham, the lovely Catwoman deadly with her whip and lover of Batman, and finally Robin and Ladybird.

The stories of Robin and Ladybird are far and in between, they were more of a ghost than Batman himself. The rumors of Robin's blade cutting through the souls of his enemies, LadyBird's yo-yo being as unbreakable as her spirit. They were rumored to be best friends, lovers, enemies, anything you can think of, but in actuality they were soulmates.

Long ago soulmates were normal, but arranged marriages and the low chance of ever finding your soulmate made them almost near extinct. But as fate will have it these soulmates were destined to meet, it was written in the stars, it was whispered in the winds, and forever engraved in the river of time. They had been tied with a red string the moment they were born, having been each other's first and last words, they were inseparable the moment they met. When blue met green suddenly no other colors mattered, the sky looked dull and the grass faded compared to the shine of the other's eyes.

The story of their demise would have been a fan favorite among people of all ages if they actually knew how it happened. It's a bittersweet tale of love, heartache, and death, but even death couldn't separate the love they shared. Here's the story of how the ghosts Ladybird and Robin died.

_____________________

It started as a normal day for Marinette Dupain-Cheng, school, commissions, talking with the other students in her class when he came in the bakery door. He commanded the attention of everyone in the room but by the look on his face, he already had a plan. He strutted straight to the counter looking Marinette in the eye. "Hello Welcome to the Dupain-Cheng Bakery, how can I help you?"

Marinette sends him a small smile "I'll have an espresso" he says face never changes "and the name for the order is?" Marinette asks with a playful smile.

"Damian, Miss?" His voice trailed off, waiting for her reply to fill the growing silence.

"Marinette". As soon as both names were uttered a blinding light flashed and their eyes shined, they were soulmates.

A mischievous smile crosses Damian's face as he grabs Marinette's hand and pulls her around the counter. "They don't need you, it looks like a slow day" he whispers in her ear.

She giggles before pulling Damian out the door "Maman! Papa! I'm going out!" not waiting for a reply both run out the door.

They ran through the streets of Paris acting like kids again. The worries of their stressful lives are forgotten in seconds. Their feet pounding into the pavement each step, a new story being written, a new memory not yet made.

Their sprint and laughter slowed into a calm walk and whispers. Talks of their future, their friends, family, hopes, and dreams. Forever happens in a moment it seems.

Standing outside, looking in on the conversation felt like a violation of their privacy, an intrusion on something special. They had just met, but it felt like an eternity. Like from the moment they opened their eyes, memories from both came flooding in, an intrusion on each other's mind, yet soothing.