His Mouse- Dickinette

Suicide mentioned

It was a quiet night, the calm before a storm. This made Nightwing uneasy. Hearing the slightest wisp of wind behind him, he took a fighting stance. Behind him is a friend he sees quite often, but never like this, never on his home turf.

"Pocket Mouse? What brings you to Bluheaven?"

The mouse smiles, her ears twitching, "What, I can't visit my favorite bird?"

They stare at each other before laughing together, and they always feel at ease, like a blanket wraps around them. They sit down at the edge of the building, the silence filled with their chatter and laughter. It goes all the way into the sunrise, long past either of them, though they would stay out. Then again, when you are having fun, time flies.

As the two eventually stare out into the distance, they notice the sun rising. It casts a golden hue over the city, highlighting the buildings. Nightwing stares at Pocket Mouse and smiles as the sun highlights her face. "Funny, I didn't realize how late it was. I didn't mean to stay this long," Mouse whispers, breath almost lost in the beauty of the rays of sunlight.

"Yeah, amazing what happens when you get lost in good company," Nightwing says, nudging the heroine's shoulder playfully, with a light blush over his face, just light enough to be blamed on the rising sun.

A blaring ring breaks the peaceful morning. " I can't have any time to myself, huh?" Pocket Mouse says, stretching and hopping to her feet. Nightwing tilts his head, "That's not the JL com?" She giggles and swipes her tail over his face, "Guardian magical junk, don't worry about it."

His face scrunches up from her tail before getting up to stand next to her. "You know you don't have to do that alone. Even Batman eventually got over the working alone bullshit." He says, resisting the urge to caress her face. She smiles wistfully, "I had a team once; I ruined their lives." Ever the mystery, she doesn't elaborate.

"Anyway, Wing, I need to head out; say Hi to RH for me 'kay?" She says before she opens a portal and steps through, waving over her shoulder.

"Sure," Nightwing mumbles, knowing she hears him.

***

"I'm starting to think you only show up when you know it'll be a quiet night," Nightwing says as a portal opens behind him, and Pocket Mouse comes through it.

"Of course. I don't want to disturb you while you work," she says, walking next to him before sitting over the edge of the building and dragging him down with her. "I wouldn't mind if you came on patrol with me, could see your magic in person." He says, looking into the horizon.

"Please, you couldn't handle all this," Mouse jokes, gesturing to her whole body. Nightwing turns to her. "Oh, trust me. I think I'll be fine. It'll be you, Squeaky, who won't be able to handle me." His face inches closer to hers, with a slight smirk. Mouse squawks before whipping her face around and covering it with her hands, letting out another slight squeal.

Nightwing laughs, letting out a full-body cackle that travels through the air. "Wing! Don't do that. My body and heart can't handle it!" She says, swishing her body left and right in embarrassment. "Don't do what Mouse?" He says, inching closer to the laughter still present in his voice.

"You know exactly what I mean," She says, looking away and staring off into the distance. "I know; I just wish it was different." He says, looking down at his hands. "Me too." With a sigh, Mouse gets up "Last time I stayed too long, I don't wanna keep you like that again." She turns to leave, and Nightwing grabs her hand. "Stay?" he asks. She can hear the hope in his voice and imagine what his eyes would look like.