26: not a competion

corbyn

after I finished eating and cleaning up I practically ran out the door to ericas house. I didn't ask what time her date was so I wasn't sure if she was home.

figured I'd do that whole romantic shit and just show up. tell her I want her to be mine. not his. not anyone else's.

I knock on her front door and her grandmother answers it. shit.

"corbyn, sweetie what're you doing here?" she asks me with a warm smile.

"hi grandma jones, I'm guessing erica left already for her date?" I ask her

"yea you just missed her"

"ok I'll um, come back later I guess"

I turn to walk back home when her grandmother stops me.

"um corbyn, would you like to stay until she gets back?"

"I couldn't ask you that"

"but I asked you" she says opening the door more open for me to walk in.

"just so you know, she told me about what you told her a few hours ago" she says slightly smirking as we sit on the couch.

"I figured she would"

"so what brings you here because it better be you trying to stop her from going on that date"

"that was exactly it actually. can't believe I even told her go on that date in the first place"

"what made you change your mind?"

"talked to my sister, made me feel like an idiot for letting her go, which I am. I just don't want to hold her back from opportunities."

"corbyn love, you are the most selfless person I've met. you're always making decisions based on what'll make others happier, especially my granddaughter. but I think this time, you need to be selfish."

"I was too late"

"who says she's even gonna like this boy that much. no offence to him, but he doesn't even compete to you" she says in the most serious tone.

I laughed at her comment. she's right about one thing, I need to be selfish about this situation, and I'm going to be.

I look over at the coffee table and see ericas sketchbook. she always loved art. any form of it. there was a drawing sticking out that caught my eye.

"what's this?" I say grabbing it and pulling it out. and before you say I'm invading her privacy, I'm not. I'm the only one she shows them to, besides grandma jones of course.

"ah she just finished that before she left" her grandma says smiling at the drawing.

it was a drawing of a picture of erica and her parents. I'm sure she's been missing them a lot lately cause she usually draws her thoughts.

I stared at it in awe. she is so talented in many ways. it was incredibly realistic from the eye and mouth crinkles of their smiles, to the strands of all their hair and the facial hair on her father. it truly was beautiful. then again so was every piece she did. I took a picture of it on my phone then turned back to her grandmother.

we continued to talk about erica, my feelings, her feelings. until erica comes home.

erica

"that dude was totally checking you out" brett says laughing.

"ew don't even he was creepy" I say laughing with him as we leave the restaurant.

we start walking in the parking lot towards his car. I ended up getting cold so brett gave me his jacket, even though he was only in a t-shirt.