Chapter Five

Petrichor accompanied a slight drizzle that stained the earth as the specs led me to a train station

Petrichor accompanied a slight drizzle that stained the earth as the specs led me to a train station. Frustration set in right away when the realization of me not knowing how the kiosk worked kicked in. A man in a navy conductor's uniform with ram-like horns noticed my blatant struggle and came to aid.

"May I assist you, ma'am?" asked the man with a gentle smile, removing his hat.

"Yeah." I pointed at the kiosk. "How does this damn thing work? I need to get myself a ticket."

A soft laugh bubbled out from him. "Ma'am, you don't need a ticket or money to get on the train. It's all paid by the government."

"Then why the heck are the kiosks for then?" I asked out of frustration and partial embarrassment. I don't know why but I had been very edgy ever since I had arrived in the Underworld, so that question came out more aggressive than usual.

"It's to help you pick the right train, ma'am." He answered with such a calm tone my blood went from boiling to a gentle simmer. "I see you have a very special package there." He gestured to my black box. "Where are you headed? Maybe I can help."

I looked back at my package and said, "Someplace called Ashlin City in Desidia."

"Oh, my," responded the conductor with a very concerned expression. "Are you sure that's your destination?"

"Yeah," I assured him with a questioning eye. "Is there a problem?"

"How do I phrase this nicely?" He heaved a sigh. "I wouldn't advise your kind to go there."

"Your kind?" I was astonished by his words. "What do you mean exactly by my kind?" He was starting to piss me off.

His eyes darted from side to side before he came near my ear and whispered, "Aren't you a demi-demon? Those are extremely rare here. You don't want to find yourself trouble there."

My eyes widened. "How do you know I'm a demi-demon?"

"I've only seen one of you before, but I remember the scent," he clarified. "On this job, I've met many different beings; each has a particular aura or aroma. For your kind, it is unique, almost sweet and sour."

That was when it struck me. My eyes narrowed. "What happened to the other one?"

"He went to Ashlin City, and that's as much as I can say. I should be on my way." His eyes averted from one side to the other again as if he feared someone eavesdropping on our conversation.

He turned his back on me and had started walking away when I grabbed his sleeve. "Wait! Why shouldn't I venture to this city?"

Turning to face me, he seemed hesitant at first but, after another quick sigh, he continued, "That's a very dangerous area around here."

"Dangerous?"

"Yes, it's infamously known as Desidia's Black City."

"Black city?" My brow rose out of curiosity. "Why's that?"