Chapter Twelve

(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ A/N : Hello Everyone! Welcome to another chapter, don't forget to share your thoughts, and out of curiosity who's your favorite character? ♥

(◔◡◔) ♥ A/N : Hello Everyone! Welcome to another chapter, don't forget to share your thoughts, and out of curiosity who's your favorite character? ♥

Hours had passed, the drunken haze had started to lift, and the biggest headache I have ever had in my existence stampeded in my skull. Devlin still carried me as I was too hungover to stand on my own two legs; it was embarrassing. As the rain died down for the night, we passed by several brothels, a couple of bars, and the occasional organ market. It wasn't until we came across fields of luminous powder-blue pools that we stopped. Each pool was filled with three or four wispy white swirls that extended into its mystical depth, and sparkled as if it were liquefied sapphire; the whole scene was breathtaking.

For a second, my headache subsided as my eyes widened in awe. "What are those?"

"These," he laid me next to one, "are what we call memory pools."

The water was so remarkably sparkly and enchanting; it was as if it was luring me in. I couldn't help but stare in amazement at how something so divine could exist in such a tainted, sketchy city. Curious, I turned back to Devil Boy, who had now taken a seat beside me, and asked, "Why do they call them that?"

Devlin smiled at me as any person would to a child discovering something foreign. "Put your feet in and find out."

Hesitant at first, I took off the surgery clogs, brought my bruised feet to the edge of the shimmering water little by little, then, after much thought, dipped them in. For the first few seconds, nothing happened. However, just as I was about to yank my feet right out of there, the glittery water reflected a young dark-skinned mixed girl playing with a gorgeous stout African woman.

"Mama!" I gasped. "Mom..." She was really there in the pool playing hopscotch with little me. "I completely forgot I was obsessed with that dumb game."

"Is that your mother?" he asked, looking at her. "She's beautiful."

"Thank you. She'd die from mere blushing if she heard you say that to her. She must be worried sick about me." My heart sank a little. "She didn't want me to have this job. I should have listened."

"Julane, if it isn't too personal," said Devlin as he dipped his feet in. "What stops you from going home?"

"Oh, me?" I pointed at myself.

His eyes were fixed on our feet. "Yeah?"

"Oh, the obvious, I fucked up."

He lifted a brow. "How so?"

"I lost the UPS's fancy-ass glasses to guide me back to the delivery dock and the card that gave me access to return to the Human World." I took in a huge breath before continuing, "On top of that, they both cost an arm and a leg, so I'm probably going to lose a limb anyway."