Chapter Twenty

Nighttime came quickly, and it was nearing midnight, and I hardly caught a wink of sleep

Nighttime came quickly, and it was nearing midnight, and I hardly caught a wink of sleep. So, I spent most of the time awake studying the mural above my head. It was one painted of a young, half-naked devil with her horns being gently cleansed by her comrades. The sentiment was sweet and relaxing, but even that wasn't enough to put me to sleep.

Just as I turned and twisted for the umpteenth time of the night, two soft knocks came from my door. Assuming it was the nurse again, I sat up and called for them to enter.

To my surprise, a beautiful dark-haired woman with the skin of a porcelain doll walked in. She did not look a day above thirty, but devils were immortal, so that was only a façade.

With a smile as bright as the sun, she introduced herself, "Hello Julane. My name is Queen Rita."

"Oh," I shoot up from my bed and make my best attempt at a bow with my broken back. "The honor is all mine, ma'am."

She shook her head and laughed. "No need for the formalities. You can just call me Rita."

"Okay, Rita..." I tested her name on my tongue a little before asking, "Why are you here?"

"Couldn't get some sleep and thought I could come and visit you," she confessed, with a tilt of her head. "You look livelier when you're awake but still just as pretty."

My cheeks grew a tinge redder, and my thumbs began to twiddle. "Um, thank you. How often have you been coming here?"

"Oh, about every night since your arrival," she said as her tone grew worried. "You were unconscious for a very long time, I was worried sick, to be honest with you. Devlin could hardly sleep either."

"He wasn't sleeping?"

"How could he if his girlfriend was near death?"

My cheeks blushed more intensely as I waved my hands at her. "No, I'm not his girlfriend! We're just friends."

"Uh-Huh. Sure, you are." She leaned towards me, slipped her hand over mine, and, with a cunning grin, she asked, "Anyway, would you by any chance be interested in going on a little trip with me?"

I didn't know how to react to that, so I just shook my head. Before I could change my mind, she quickly called for Charity, the nurse. "Charity, darling please bring the wheelchair?"

Pushing a wheelchair, Charity waltzed right in. It was only then that I noticed just how petite she was and her small pink ram-like horns. She was the epitome of adorable.

They both aided me onto the chair and, once I was comfortable, wheeled me out through the door. We passed so many halls that I lost count. Each passageway we entered had towering high ceilings with several arrangements of different chandeliers and was about as wide as a football field. It was ridiculously sized. Devlin was right; this place was huge.